10 Things Every UMass Freshman Should Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

UMass has so much to offer its students, from interesting clubs to exciting events, it’s hard to know where to begin. Being a freshman myself, I initially found it overwhelming to figure out which events were ones that were staples of my college and which were just random things going on. After talking to many upper classmen, I have come up with a list of ten things every UMass freshman should experience from events to food to concerts, in order to have the best experience at college.

1. Sport Events

These occur all year round and are sure to get your UMass spirit pumping. Personally, my favorite is hockey, a sport that many students here feel passionate about, making the arena filled with high energy and school spirit. Free, fun, and easy to get to, if you’re ever bored there will most likely be a game you can run to Mullins to catch.

2. Antonio’s Pizza

The favorite of Amherst college students, Antonio’s Pizza is affordable and delicious. Walk by anytime after eight on a weekend and be prepared to wait on a line that wraps around the block. My favorite is the Avocado Quesadilla pizza, but any of the various custom pizzas they have will be sure to fit everyone’s taste buds.

3. Blarney Blowout

A St. Patrick’s Day celebration that occurs every year at the Townhouses, Blarney is infamous at UMass for being one of the best days of the year. The stories I have heard from this event are nuts, and I can’t wait to see what it is all about this year.

4. Late Night Berk During Finals

Late night Berk is always a good idea, but during finals they step up their game with even better food and louder music. They are open until 2 a.m. instead of 12, so when you want a slight break from studying make sure to head over for a yummy reward for all your hard work.

5. Spring Concert

The spring concert is always kept under wraps, but is guaranteed to please. Big names such as Tyga and Big Sean are only a few of the names that have preformed at the Mullins Center. For $10, you can listen to big name artists without having to travel far or worry about transportation.

6. Join a Club

Whether it be the newspaper, the ski and board club, or Greek life, becoming part of an organization is not only a great way to enhance your college experience and resume, but it is also a great way to meet friends. The activities fair at the beginning of the semester is a great way to see all the options available but most groups are open to new members throughout the year, so head over to their websites to see what interests you.

7. Judie’s 

Personally, it’s my favorite restaurant in Amherst. Judie’s offers a range of different types of food and is relatively affordable. Open for lunch and dinner, Judie’s is my go to place when I have friends or family visiting and is always a great dinning experience.

8. The Campus Store

Everyone has to have the one day they step into the campus store and go crazy buying UMass apparel. Always comfy, I know I wear my oversized hoodie to bed every night. Although slightly expensive, it is a sort of right of passage to burn through your summer job money on apparel to show off your school spirit.

9. Studying (tanning) on Southwest Beach

It could be 60 degrees, but the second the sun is out and we can feel our fingers again, you can guarantee there will be a hoard of people out on Southwest beach, tanning, studying, and just messing around.

10. Watching a Sunset From Orchard Hill

I know, you’re saying that’s stupid and no way am I making the hike up that hill. Trust me, it’s worth it for the gorgeous views you will get and you will love UMass a million times more after you see how beautiful it actually is.

Whether you’re a freshman or upperclassman, be sure to check these 10 things off your list before you graduate!

Molly Dickman

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst