10 Taylor Swift Must-Add Songs For Your Autumn Playlist

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If there’s one season that Taylor Swift reflects on the most in her music, it’s autumn. Whether she’s singing about leaves falling down like pieces into place or the chill of the autumn air, Taylor’s music is the perfect addition to your fall playlist. Keep reading for 10 songs that you must listen to this autumn!

“Red” – Red (Taylor’s Version)

With its vivid autumnal imagery, “Red” is a staple song for the season of fall. This energetic track compares a once passionate and intense relationship gone south to bright, fiery autumn leaves fading with the change of seasons. Taylor sings, Like the colors in autumn, so bright / Just before they lose it all.

“Now that we don’t talk” (From the Vault) – 1989 (Taylor’s version)
taylor swift\'s 1989 (taylors version)
Taylor Swift / Republic

Sometimes with the change of seasons, relationships change and take on new forms as well. This newly-released vault track covers the dreaded no-contact stage of a breakup. Due to its release in October of this year, Now That We Don’t Talk has become the breakup anthem of the season. Taylor advises that although we can “miss someone’s old ways” and wish that they “didn’t have to change”, letting go of a toxic relationship is always “for the best.”

“Cardigan” – Folklore

This slow, piano-heavy ballad perfectly encapsulates the vibes of a cozy and cloudy fall day. The title itself is even a staple fall clothing item! In this song, Taylor perfectly captures the heart-wrenching experience of your first heartbreak. Taylor sings that even “when she felt like she was an old cardigan under someone’s bed”, her first love “put her on and said she was their favorite.”

Evermore (feat. Bon Iver) – Evermore

Seasonal depression starting to hit? “Evermore” is the perfect song to listen to when you are in need of a source of comfort during the upcoming cold months. Taylor sings, “Gray November / I’ve been down since July.” If you feel as though you’re drowning in the stress of constant assignments and exams, just remember that “this pain won’t be for evermore.”

“Cornelia Street” – Lover

“Cornelia Street” discusses the fragility of new relationships, as well as the making of memories with someone that you love. Taylor’s use of fall imagery is representative of her reminiscence on the memories that she shares with the lover that she addresses in the song. She sings, “windows swung right open, autumn air / Jacket ’round my shoulders is yours.” This cozy love song is guaranteed to bring you warmth during this chilly season.

“Champagne problems” – Evermore

This sad piano ballad has all the vibes for sad girl autumn. Set in November, “champagne problems” tells the story of a troubled woman who denies her boyfriend’s marriage proposal. Taylor sings of “evergreen friends”, “November flushes”, and “flannel cures.”

“Haunted” – Speak now (Taylor’s Version)

“Haunted” is a song that captures the inner emotional turmoil that is experienced with you realize that someone you love is beginning to fade. Not only is the title perfect for spooky season, but Taylor’s strong vocals and intense, swelling instrumentals will leave you feeling “haunted”!

“Innocent” – Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)

Just like how fall is a time of new beginnings, “Innocent” is a song that reminds us that no matter what we have experienced in life, every day is a fresh slate. This encouraging track assures listeners that despite the mistakes that you will inevitably make in life, these mishaps are always redeemable. For us college students, it can be easy for us to struggle with self-discipline or slip off with our grades and assignments, especially with the shortening days and colder weather. Taylor reminds us that “today is never too late to be brand new.”

“The best day” – Fearless (Taylor’s version)

Pumpkin patches, tractor rides, and golden skies are all pieces of fall imagery that Taylor uses to paint the scene of a perfect autumn day. “The Best Day” reflects on fond childhood memories that Taylor shares with her mother. This sweet and reminiscent song will bring you comfort throughout fall with its soft guitar strumming. Taylor shows her admiration for her mother by singing, “I don’t know why all the trees change in the fall / But I know you’re not scared of anything at all.”

“All Too Well (10-minute version)” – Red (Taylor’s Version)

Last but not least, Taylor’s most iconic fall-themed song has to be “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)”. With its fall imagery of “autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place” and a music video set during autumn, this song checks all the fall-vibe boxes. This track that discusses the heartbreak of an ending relationship is a wistful ballad that is the perfect song to blast while driving through the fall foliage.

I hope you get a chance to enjoy these 10 amazing Taylor Swift songs this fall! Adding them to your autmn playlist will help you create the perfect cool-weather ambience as we get further into the colder months. Happy listening!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Kyla Davis

U Mass Amherst '27

Kyla Davis is a Freshman at UMass Amherst majoring in Journalism with a Public Relations concentration.