toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Halloween Costumes That Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With Halloween just around the corner, it’s safe to say that you’ve already started hunting for the perfect costume. The scary part is that within minutes of shopping, you quickly realize how expensive they truly are. While middle schoolers are preparing for the big night by visiting a Halloween store with handfuls of their parent’s money, us Collegiettes are struggling to pull together enough cash to buy a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks.

Clearly, spending upwards of $30 on a piece of fabric you will only wear one night (let’s face it, costume repeating is simply unacceptable) is completely out of the question. So what does a Halloween enthusiast do when she can’t buy a costume? She puts one together all on her own! Making your own costumes may sound exhausting or even impossible, but trust me, nothing feels better than getting a compliment on the costume you spent time on and put thought into.

All of these costumes rely on three simple aspects:

1. Clothing that you can repurpose into creative costumes
  2. Hairstyles that will take your look to the next level
  3. Easy, yet impressive make-up tips 

Here are 10 fun, scary, and unique costumes that you can rock on October 31st without breaking the bank. 

1. Audrey Hepburn

What to wear: Your favorite LBD, black flats, an assortment of pearl necklaces, long black gloves, a cigarette holder, and a tiny tiara. If you don’t already own any of these props, you can easily find them on Amazon at really low prices.

Hair: Roll into a polished and sophisticated sock bun 

Make-up: Focus on timeless make-up. Keep it simple on the eyes and lips, unless you want to add a bit more glam and a personal touch by wearing your favorite shade of red.

2. Creepy Doll

What to wear: A dress you are willing to cut holes into or at the very least, smudge some fake blood on for a damaged effect. Flats or sneakers and a teddy bear will complete this adorably unsettling look.

Hair: A full head of bouncy curls with a headband, two high ponytails, or two low braids.

Make-up: This make-up is simple, cute, and fun! If you want to look like a cracked porcelain doll, add strategically placed cracks on your forehead and cheeks using an eyeliner pencil. 

3. Maleficent

What to wear: This is one of the most difficult to pull off, but if you’re willing to try it, there is no way anyone will out-do your costume on Halloween night! You can wear anything you own that is black or purple. You don’t have to wear the cape unless you already own one or would want to purchase one. To avoid spending the money, you can go for a modern twist on Maleficent by wearing any dress or top you think would fit best.  

Hair: You can find her famous horns on Amazon anywhere from $10 to $20. If you’re really pressed for cash, here’s a tutorial for a more wearable hairstyle that serves as a unique take on the Maleficent horns. 

Make-up: This tutorial will show you how to achieve the highly pronounced Angelina Jolie cheekbones that will make your costume instantly recognizable!

4. Zombie or Vampire

What to wear: For the zombie look, you can tear some holes in a white tee and smudge some fake blood or dirt on it. For the vampire look, you can really wear anything in a dark hue, particularly black, purple, maroon, or green.

Hair: Tousled or teased waves would work best for the zombie costume, and for the vampire you could have any kind of hair depending on what you want the finished product to look like. If you want a sultry look, go for big, sexy curls. If you just want to look like the vampire version of yourself, you can work with one of your everyday hairstyles.

Make-up: Here is a tutorial for each look. I coupled them together because they are classic costumes, and I couldn’t just choose one! If you don’t have the time or money, you don’t have to buy the paste she uses to create her exposed wounds, you can simply draw them on (people will get the idea).

5. Waldo and Wenda

What to wear: This one is perfect for a couple who just doesn’t have the money to spend on expensive costumes! All you need are white and red striped shirts and beanies, jeans, glasses and sneakers.

Hair: Straight hair would be the best, but wavy hair would look really cute and make Wenda a little sassier!

Make-up: The make-up is really simple, stick to your everyday make-up routine for this costume.

6. The witches of American Horror Story: Coven

What to wear: If you and your girls need a group costume, this is an excellent option!  All you need to be the witches of Coven is black and white clothes. Go for something with lace or mesh details. You can’t go wrong with a dress or long tunic with leggings and booties. You won’t need a pointy witch hat from the Halloween store. Instead, go for a wide-brim hat if you own one, if not search Amazon or Forever 21 for hats under $15. This would be a good investment because wide-brim hats and fall are synonymous, so you will definitely get your money’s worth on this purchase. Don’t be afraid to add fun accessories like a black choker, sunglasses or a black umbrella.

Hair: Style your hair depending on if everyone in your group is trying to be a specific witch, most of them have straight hair, but Misty Day dons curly ringlets. 

Make-up: Keep your make-up relatively simple but add a little extra eyeliner than you’re used to, especially if you want to embody Madison Montgomery. 

7. Mermaid 

What to wear: The best way to do this costume on the cheap is to stick to the modern day twist. A pencil skirt and crop top or a bodycon dress are the best outfit ideas to channel your inner siren without spending any money. Wear different shades of green, purple, pink, and blue. 

Hair: Tousled beach waves or fishtail braids are the best hairstyles for a mermaid. Adding some color to your locks will make you really stand out! Try hair chalk which you can find at Ulta or artist’s chalk which you can find at any craft store, just add some water to the chalk before applying it to your hair. 

Make-up: This make-up idea requires a pair of fishnet tights to create a scaley effect on the skin and adhesive jewels for an enchanting finishing touch.

8. Comic Book Character

What to wear: This is an extremely fun costume allowing you to wear absolutely anything you want! If you want to just be yourself as a comic book character, this is one of the easiest costumes to pull off. However, you could also wear vibrant colors to match the vibrant make-up.

Hair: You can wear it any way you like for this costume. 

Make-up: This tutorial shows you four ways to do your make-up depending on how detailed you want to make-up to be. It gives you the option of making it really simple or really elaborate!

9. Pin-Up Girl 

What to Wear: A bodycon dress, or a pair of high-waisted jeans or pencil skirt with a fitted top or crop top. Heels would really make the outfit but since you’re the one who will be walking in them all night, it’s up to you. If you choose not to wear heels, flats are the best second option. 

Hair: The hairstyle is what distinguishes you as a pin-up girl. Old Hollywood curls or victory rolls are the best hairstyles for this costume.

Make-up: This video will teach you how to complete the perfect pin-up girl hair and makeup! 

10. Jig Saw

What to wear: Black blazer, white button up shirt, black tie, black skinny jeans, sneakers or black heels

Hair: Big curls are amazing with this costume because it makes you look more sultry and mysterious which will really surprise all of your friends who thought you would look terrifying!

Make-up: Here is a popular video on how to nail the Jig Saw make-up! It’s very simple and incredibly creepy. 

Now that you know how to create the perfect Halloween costume on a budget, go slay!

Photos/Videos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Junior Psychology Major at Umass Amherst '17
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst