10 Halloween Attractions you NEED to visit in New England

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Feeling especially spooky this season? Me too. And my favorite way to express it? Going into as many haunted houses as I possibly can; the scarier, the better. Here are 10 Halloween attractions right here in New England that are OOZING with frightening fun!

The Haunted Labyrinth

Location: Cranston, Rhode Island

Haunted Labyrinth has claimed the title of the longest running haunted house in New England with 35 years of scaring under their belt. Although that is impressive enough, what stands out most about Haunted Labyrinth is that it is completely run by volunteers who build and run the haunted attraction every year. The house this year is called Grimm University and themed to a haunted school. If going to class doesn’t already scare you enough, then this is the perfect Halloween attraction for you!

Learn more and buy tickets HERE!

DementedFX

Location: Holyoke, MA

Rated the #1 Haunted Attraction in Massachusetts by The Scare Factor in 2018 and located right near UMass in Holyoke, MA is DementedFX. Even though the Halloween season usually ends with the month of October, DementedFX has its most unique event on November 2nd. “Lights Out” is exactly what it sounds like, you will be encased in darkness and will only have a glow stick to guide you through the house. This event is definitely not for anyone who is afraid of the dark!

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

Barrett’s Haunted Mansion

Location: Abington, MA

One of the main rules of haunted houses: do not touch the actors and they won’t touch you. Well two nights a year, Barrett’s Haunted Mansion challenges that rule. During their events Darkness Unleashed and Devil’s Night, the actors are allowed to touch YOU. If that’s too spine tingling, try their Light’s On Tour: a guided walkthrough tour of both the houses and the backstage area with all the lights on.

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

ScrEEEmfest at Canobie Lake Park

Location: Salem, New Hampshire

My personal favorite Halloween event is located at the classic New England amusement park, Canobie Lake Park. Not only can you enjoy their FIVE haunted houses, but you can take a break from all of the scares by going on the many rides they have to offer! I personally suggest going into The Canobie Lake Hotel, which is my favorite haunted house of all time; creative, elaborate sets, fun scare actors, and truly spooky!

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

Spooky World Presents Nightmare New England

Location: Litchfield, New Hampshire

Nightmare New England is no normal Halloween attraction. Not only does it include haunted houses, but it also has a one mile haunted hayride, go-karts, mini-golf, batting cages, tarot card readers, fire-pits, bars—and the absolute best offering, ZOMBIE PAINTBALL. I would go just for the chance to pretend I am a part of “The Walking Dead”. 

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

Field of Screams

Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island

Field of Screams contains many unique elements in their attractions. Their house “Dungeon of Doom” includes animatronics and vibrating floors. In “4D Cirque Du Souls”, put on some 3D glasses and see the walls and actors in a whole different light. Instead of having a typical haunted hayride, you will board a military transport truck to ride through this scary attraction.

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

Ravenwood Haunted Farm

Location: Haverhill, Massachusetts

Ravenwood Haunted Farm is the newest haunted attraction in New England, opening its doors this year. It includes a walking trail and a haunted corn maze. What’s scarier than a haunted house? Not being able to find your way out of that haunted house. It will definitely be a new favorite attraction!

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

13 Nights at Jiminy

Location: Hancock, MA

13 Nights at Jiminy takes full advantage of being located at a ski resort. After starting the haunted house, you then embark on a ski lift ride to “The Haunted Woods” where you continue your scary adventures. You can also take part in their “Scare and Scream Package” which includes 13 Nights at Jiminy and the Mountain Coaster the resort has on site.

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

Witch’s Woods

Location: Westford, MA

Every year, Nashoba Valley Ski Area is taken over by Witch’s Woods. The event has haunted houses, a haunted hayride, and carnival rides all included in the ticket. You can even go visit without a ticket and check out their “Jack O’Lantern Jamboree”, filled with beautiful professionally carved pumpkins, or “Horrorwood: Chamber of Chills”, that exhibits scenes from classic horror movies. 

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

The Haunted Graveyard at Lake Compounce

Location: Bristol, Connecticut

If normal haunted houses are just too short for you, you need to go over to Lake Compounce. The Haunted Graveyard is a one mile haunted walk, featuring multiple haunted houses within it. It takes about 45 minutes to complete the entire walk. If you crave more thrills after that, you can go experience Lake Compunce’s rides, including Phobia Phear Coaster, the first triple-launch coaster in New England!

Learn more and buy tickets HERE

Larissa Boyack

U Mass Amherst '20

Larissa Boyack is a senior at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst, majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management. She hopes to combine her love of travelling and writing and eventually become a travel writer. As well as writing, she also enjoys acting, photography, and graphic design. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @larissaboyack  
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst