10 Galentine’s Day Ideas for You and Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

No bae? No problem!

While you may think Valentine’s Day is just for couples, it’s actually a day about LOVE! Love is celebrated by everyone, so if you’re ready to show yourself and your friends some love, below are the best ways to celebrate “Galentine’s” Day with the girls. 

1. Spa Day

If you feel like relaxing this “Galentine’s” Day, a great way to unwind is to treat yo’ self to a day of pampering for you and your friends. You can go get your nails done, get facials, get massages, get blowouts, do some yoga, or even meditate. There are many ways to indulge in a much-needed self-care day – whether you host your own D.I.Y. spa day at home or you go to a salon. Don’t forget the wine!

soap
Unsplash

2. Adventure

Looking for a little excitement? Take your friends on an adventure! Plan a trip to an amusement park, attend a concert or other performance, play a fun sport, jump around at Sky Zone, try your hand at an escape room, or whatever else gets your blood racing. The options are endless!

3. Foodie Fun

Obviously, you can’t have a proper “Galentine’s” Day without indulging in delicious food!  Get your girls together for a cooking or baking-fest – (maybe even make it a competition). Host a dinner party or a potluck where everyone brings their own dish. Take a trip to the city and go on a food tour (chocolate tasting tours are perfect for Valentine’s Day) such as Cocoa Beantown or Off the Beaten Path Food Tours in Boston. You can even throw a D.I.Y. chocolate tasting at home if you want!

Chocolate
Unsplash

4. Into the Wild

For those who are outdoorsy, there are plenty of ways to get out and enjoy the fresh air. Going hiking, picking flowers or berries, playing sports, going to the beach, boating, biking, having a picnic, building a bonfire, and taking your dog for a walk are all great ways to immerse yourself in nature. If you’re someone who lives where winters are snowy, there are alternatives like skiing, snowboarding, building snowmen, tubing, ice skating, snowmobiling, or even going for a sleigh ride!

5. Girl’s Night Out

Going out with the girls is a fun way to enjoy quality time with your best friends. The night offers lots of fun activities that are sure to be entertaining. Some activities you can try include seeing a movie, going out to dinner somewhere fancy, going dancing or singing karaoke, getting an elaborate dessert, going to a carnival or theme park, getting cocktails (or mock tails), or catching a cool live performance like a musical or comedy show.

Girl\'s night
Unsplash

6. Girl’s Night In

Want to have a fun night but don’t want to leave the house? No problem! Here are some ways you and your friends can have fun without leaving your house. You can order some takeout, grab the popcorn, and host a Netflix or movie marathon. Bring out the board games and the cards and have a game night! You can also have a slumber party and make blanket forts. Or, put your cooking or baking skills to the test and make some yummy treats or homemade pizza. Finally, look through old pictures and share funny stories, and reminisce.

7. Get Artsy

If you’re feeling crafty, try out some fun art activities and show off your creative skills. You can have a paint night, start scrapbooking, make a vision board, draw, or make each other valentines. You can even have a photo shoot by grabbing your best wardrobe options, dig out some props, and start snapping photos!

8. Travel

Got a case of wanderlust? Try out one (or all) of these cures. Get the gang together for a road trip! Take in the sights and explore new places! If driving isn’t your thing, hop on a cruise – you can find affordable ones online, especially during the off-season. Take a weekend “stay-cation” somewhere fun at a hotel, Airbnb, retreat, or ski lodge. Spend a night or two in the city and explore all the new amazing sights and activities that place has to offer!

3 girls celebrate
Unsplash

9. Morning Madness

Start off your “Galentine’s” Day celebration early with a little morning excitement! Get together with the gals for brunch or coffee, go shopping, walk around downtown, sip on mimosas, hit the farmer’s market, take a morning yoga or fitness class, or get manicures and pedicures. There’s nothing better than starting the day off with amazing friends!

10. Lounge & Laze

If you’re feeling like having a lazy day, here are some ideas for you to try with your friends. First of all, proper attire is essential for such an occasion. Grab your comfiest P.J.’s, your fuzziest slippers, and your most fabulous robe. Invite your girls over for some breakfast, coffee, mimosas, snacks, and of course, chocolate. While you sip and splurge, enjoy spending quality time together by catching up, binge-watching the Bachelor, or having a rom-com marathon – whatever floats your boat.

Breakfast food
Unsplash

“Galentine’s” Day is a great opportunity to spend quality time with your friends, so make the most of it and do whatever makes you happy. The options are endless and there are plenty of things to do, no matter what you’re into. Happy “Galentine’s” Day, ladies!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Alexandria Faneuf

U Mass Amherst '21

Ali is studying Communication and Journalism major at UMass Amherst. She loves traveling, watching movies, health, fitness, acting, and writing. Ali hopes to inspire, entertain, and motivate others through her writing and content creation. Get to know her better by following her on Instagram @alimorgan413.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst