The 10 Best Movies to Catch This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you’re spending a chill group day with your girls, having a cozy date night with your S.O., or downing a super-sized carton of Nutella by yourself (no? just me?), here are the 10 must-see movies you can’t miss this time of the year.

10. Titanic

I mean, they had us at ’90s Leonardo DiCaprio. Not to mention, let’s all just agree that Titanic is one of the greatest love stories of all time. 

I’d have the Kleenex on deck. I’m always convinced that this will be the time I won’t cry, then five minutes in I’m like:

But you know, in a really attractive sort of way.

9. Dirty Dancing

Really, who can resist a good summer romance? The answer is no one, especially when it’s Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze grinding all up on each other for an hour and a half. I’m sitting at home like:

And if by the end you’re not belting out super off-key that you had the time of your life, I’m worried about you.

8. P.S. I Love You

To break up the back-to-back rom-com marathon, pop in a more dramatic flick. This popular favorite has it all, from love to loss to, P.S.: yummy accents. Everyone needs a good tear-jerker around Valentine’s Day.

7. Valentine’s Day

Well, it wouldn’t have made much sense if we didn’t put it in.

Jam-packed with stars and surprises, this film packs in all the Valentine’s Day blues and boons, from the forever single girls to the ones lucky enough to be over-the-moon in love.

Plus, you get to see Jennifer Garner beat the hell out of a heart-shaped piñata. That’s always fun.

6. Sex and the City

You’re probably going to need a break from all the lovey-coupley action at some point, so a good girl-power flick will probably come in handy. Whether you were a fan of the show or never got into it, chances are you’ll be won over by the four funniest, fiercest women in New York City.

There’s even a few scenes that follow the girls on Valentine’s Day, some single and downing bottles of red, and some with their beaus, naked with sushi. Win-win.

5. Endless Love

Premiering in theatres this Valentine’s Day, this film follows the classic young-love-meets-tragedy storyline, and stars some big names like Bruce Greenwood and Alex Pettyfer, the young hunk from Magic Mike. Yes, honey.

Chockfull of excitement and some pretty steamy love scenes, this movie’s sure to become a quick classic that’ll probably be making your must-watch Valentine’s Day list every year.

4. Mr. and Mrs. Smith 

With or without a guy (to break up the chick-flick-type marathon), someone along the way will probably be needing a dose of action. Cue Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Sexy and fun, what’s more romantic than a good-looking couple trying to kill each other?

…I couldn’t think of anything either.

3. Silver Linings Playbook

Hard to believe this movie only came out late last year. Doesn’t it already feel like a romance classic?

With the chemistry between swoon-worthy Bradley Cooper and celeb of the year Jennifer Lawrence, this film shakes us out of the typical boy-meets-girl, boy-falls-in-love-type storyline and wakes us up to the honest, fun and complicated mess that is falling in love.

In other words, excelsior, guys – excelsior.

2. When Harry Met Sally

“Men and women can’t be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.”

Who thought up these iconic words I don’t know, but dang, props to him. This battle-of-the-sexes journey starts out around our age– a guy and girl have just graduated college– and ends off twelve years and one happy ending later.

One of the most iconic romantic-comedies of all time, a definite must-see.

1. The Notebook

You didn’t really believe we were going to leave out The Notebook, did you?

Probably the romance flick of our Collegiette’s generation. Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, a rowboat, and 365 letters. Swoon.

You’ve got your list. Now it’s time to get out your tissues and grab your remote. Happy Valentine’s Day, ladies!

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Danielle Rivera

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst