Woah, Pump the Breaks! Did the Light Just Change?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

How to decode the color dress code!

This Friday is the stoplight party in the Union.  What’s a stoplight party?  It’s a party where you wear red, yellow, or green—based on relationship status.  Red if you’re taken, yellow if it’s complicated, or green if you’re single. 

Let’s say you’ve been in a relationship for a while, that one’s easy.  You wear that cute red top that’s been sitting in your closet, just waiting to be worn in public. Not seeing anyone? Perfect! Green is for you! And also a perfect color for the holiday season.

Here’s the tough one: you’re seeing a guy, but don’t know if it’s only a hook-up, or he just sees the two of you as friends.  What’s a girl to do in a situation like this? If you’re set on making a statement about your status, talk to your guy and see what’s up.  You don’t want to scare him with the most-of-the-time sensitive subject of relationships, so go into the convo open-minded.  Maybe start with something along the lines of “Do you see us as more than friends?”  This conversation can only go two ways-

If his answer is yes, that’s great! You’ll have a date for the party and an opportunity for your red blouse or tank.

If he struggles with an answer, or flat out says no, joke’s on him.  You’ll look smashing in a green top and have a blast with all the single cuties at the party.

If it’s too over-whelming, remember that this one party shouldn’t define your relationship with him.  It’s a great event to grab drinks with friends, meet new people, and dance the night away—no matter what color you’re wearing! 

And when in doubt, a tie-die shirt could be the perfect safety net. Plus it’ll keep those hotties guessing ;)

photo credit: google images