Why You Should Stay in Orono for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Just in case you still don’t know what you’re doing for the summer!

1) It’s quiet

As fun as it is to have all of your friends so close to you, it’s also so refreshing to have no one around. There is no wait at the Aroma Joe’s drive-through, no near death experiences turning off campus, and no lines at the bars.

2.) You are already paying a lease

Odds are that you have a yearlong lease, so instead of stressing about paying double rent or finding a sublease just stay in your apartment!

3.) You can live your way

While its always great to go home and see your family, it’s always weird because you are now caught in that award middle ground of being an adult but still being in your parents house. If you stay in your apartment, no one is going to judge you for coming home drunk out of your mind at 2am.

4.) It’s beautiful

Everyone knows that Maine is gorgeous in the summer but Orono has something special about it (maybe because everyone leaves it for the summer and never gets to see it). But floating down the Stillwater in the middle of July has some pretty sights and is more than relaxing.

photos: 1, 2

Calen is a fourth year Mass Communications major with a Marketing minor and a Psychology minor at the University of Maine. She is a sister of Alpha Phi and enjoys hiking at home in the Rocky Mountains, traveling, reading, and spending time with family and friends.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.