Why Alcohol and Winter DON’T Mix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Whether you like it or not, winter is coming, and that means you should be even more cautious when consuming alcohol. We’ve all heard it before: alcohol and the cold don’t mix well. But why?

Consuming alcohol messes with your perception, including body temperature. It can make your body feel warmer than it really is, so although you may feel warm drinking, your body temperature is most likely lowering.

As we get into winter, you should be careful if you go out drinking. Hypothermia and alcohol have many of the same symptoms, so it can be easy to confuse a simply night of drinking for something more serious. Some of the shared symptoms include:

• Drowsiness or exhaustion
  • Slurred or mumbled speech
  • Loss of coordination
  • Slow, shallow breathing
  • Confusion or memory loss
  • Shaking or numbness

Watch out for these symptoms from yourself and your friends. A night out isn’t worth permanent damage so be safe while going out this winter!

Photos: 1

Kelly is a senior Business Management student at the University of Maine. She is a sister of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority and enjoys spending time with her friends, travelling, and learning new things.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.