Where to Work Out Before Winter Comes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The snow may have come and gone already but it will eventually come and stay and we will have a regular, frigid Maine winter. Before Orono becomes the tundra we should all bring our workouts outside and enjoy the rest of fall.

There are several great areas on and off campus that are perfect for working out. Here are some of our favorites:

Morse Field aka the Football Field
Morse Field presents several workout opportunities. You could always run around the track, or you could spice it up and run suicides on the football field! Or for some killer cardio and a great booty lift, run the bleachers! Run up and then back down the bleachers 10 times with a 30 second rest between every 2 or 3 sprints. Workout while the football team is practicing for some extra motivation!

The Trail Behind the Rec. Center
The trails are a great place to run/bike and clear your head while you breathe in the crisp, fall Maine air. Add 20 – second sprints into your normal run and along the way stop five times and do some ab work! Change up your normal crunch routine and add cherry pickers, or bicycle crunches.

Orono Land Trust
A lot of students don’t realize how many great hiking trails there are right here in Orono. The Orono Land Trust preserves and maintains hundreds of acres in different areas around Orono for the public to enjoy. There’s the Orono Bog Walk, Skylar Park, and the Rampe Conservation Easement, to name a few. Grab your friends, enjoy the Maine wildlife, and get in a great workout! For a list of all of the trails and their maps, visit http://oronolandtrust.org/trails.htm.

Acadia National Park
Acadia is hands down one of the most beautiful areas in the country and has some of the best hiking and bicycling trails around. There are 125 miles of hiking trails and 45 miles of historic carriage roads within the park that offer choices for all abilities and interests. Plan a camping trip with your friends and hike a different area every day! There’s rugged shorline, deep woods and open mountain summits with breathtaking views of the ocean and outer islands. For more information on Acadia, visit http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

photo credit: google images