Culture > News

What I Want You to Know About Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

September 15th marked the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month and it is only right to celebrate all the womxn* who identify as Hispanic, Latina, Indigenous, Afro-Latina, and Mestiza!  When you think of Hispanic Heritage month, do you think of the beautiful Selena Quintanilla, the Mexican Tejano musician? Does Sylvia Rivera, a Venezuelan and Puerto Rican trans womxn, and LGBTQ activist/advocate cross your mind?  No matter who you think of, chances are they contributed to society in amazing ways yet often times, are overlooked.  How long will it take for Hispanic, Latina, Indigenous, Afro-Latina, and Mestiza womxn to be acknowledged for the amazing womxn that they are?

Here are 23 issues and facts we deal with in our society, and social groups, and day to day personal lives that I think people should know coming into Hispanic Heritage Month:

1. A lot of people assume you should be able to speak Spanish and if you don’t, then you are judged as being “less Hispanic.”

2. After polling 150,000 people, it was deemed that you could find the most upbeat attitudes in Latin America!

3. Some people can have frustrating preconceptions about you before knowing you.  For example, “You must be loca, have an attitude, be good in bed, loud, a good cook, a good at cleaner. You must have a fat ass. You have your green card, and you eat copious amounts of rice, beans, and tacos.”

4. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard someone call me Mexican, I’d be rich!

5. Family gatherings are huge and you’re always introduced, hugged, and kissed by people you don’t know.

6. Laying our edges down is a MUST before leaving the house.

7. Not all of us get hot and bothered easily.  Costa Ricans are actually known for their laid back, positive energy! And hey, I’d be laid back too if I grew up in a place like Costa Rica!

8. We are only running late because good things take time. ;)

9. If you have parents or grandparents whose first language is Spanish, you probably spend a lot of time being a translator.

10. Restaurants NEED to keep Adobo at the tables.

11.  Historically speaking, we are family oriented! Family extends beyond the nuclear family. Cousins are like sisters and brothers. Aunts are second mothers. Uncles are second fathers.

12. Motherhood is valued in our community, so if you’re not married you’ll most likely hear, “So when are you going to settle down?” from parents and elders.

13. Hispanic family rules and values are strict. There is no talking back to parents as children. Most children are given responsibilities at an early age and are expected to make something of themselves.

14. Not all Hispanic identifying people are Catholic, although a lot are!

15. According to the United States Census Bureau, Hispanics make up 17.8% of the U.S. population

16. U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics stated that by 2024 Hispanic womxn will make up 18.1% of the female labor force.

17. Latino Reggaeton is the best music to listen to at the gym (in my opinion)!

18. We are less likely to develop wrinkles because our skin tends to be oilier, which is why Hispanic women age so well!

19. Whether you speak Spanglish, English and Spanish, or Portuguese, being bilingual can help protect against illnesses like Alzheimer’s disease and help cognitive skills. So, if you aren’t Latina and don’t speak Spanish, think twice before getting annoyed with someone who has a Spanish accent or doesn’t speak English as their first language!

20. 1 in 3 Latinas have experienced domestic violence.

21. The media often portrays Latinas in a promiscuous light, perpetuating the toxic notion that Hispanic women are, “asking for it.”

22. Statistics show that, “one in six females age 13 and older are victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.”

23. Yes, there is such an identification as Afro-Latina-Indigenous. European colonization forced many people to deny their African and Indigenous roots and embrace their Spanish side more. I know many womxn coming out strong and proud with this complex identity as well as embracing ancestral spirituality returning to old grandmother/bruja ways of traditional medicine. If you identify as Afro-Latina-Indigenous, I stand with you proudly with lots of love!

*Womxn: a term used to “broaden the scope of womanhood by including “womxn-of-color,” “trans-womxn” and other “womxn-identified” groups.”

Desiree Vargas is currently a student at the University of Maine majoring in Anthropology with a minor in Native American studies. Desiree Identifies as a Afro-Indigenous-Latina. She is a intersectional activist. Her de-colonized, feminist, and anarcho-communist views as well as having holistic healing skills under her belt helps her navigate the activist realm uniquely. Desiree holds the position of vice president of Black Student Union at Umaine, and is involved in American Indian Student Organization, NAACP, and the Socialist Party of Maine. She is a program assistant at the Peace and Justice Center, and is a wellness coach. Her skillsets include behavior health, child care, public relations, event organizing, management, and sexual assault advocacy. Her certification in Massage and Polarity Therapy has given her the knowledge and skillset to add healing and balance not only to her own life, but to the spaces she occupies for work and writing. She has experience writing for newsletters and public speaking. She recently spoke at the 2018 Women’s March in Maine. She loves fitness, outdoor activity, practicing archery, reading, writing, and vegan cooking. Desiree aspires to be the change she wishes to see in the world while having as much fun and adventure as possible.
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!