What to Expect When You Transfer to UMaine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1. You may have to work to get certain credits – keep up on it!

This one of the not so fun things about transferring. Once your transcripts are sent, make sure you are getting credit for classes you’ve taken. UMaine is good about giving credit for class if there is no equivalent. But make sure if you think something is an equivalent to a class at UMaine that you take the steps needed to have it count (especially if it has to do with your major).

2. Going to Orientation will be different, but it’s important to go!

Orientation will be with a bunch of students, mostly just out of high school. Even though you have some college experience already, its important you go. You get to learn more about the campus and meet some new people. Also, you get your Maine Card which you will need for the rest of your time here.

3. In the beginning, you will get lost, and maps will become your best friend. 

You’re new to the area. Let me tell you, using Google Maps helped me quite a bit. For the first few times you try and get somewhere, maps are super helpful resources. Whether it be going somewhere on or off campus they help you learn the lay of the land.

4. Explore Campus.

Not only will maps help you, but you can learn some of the best shortcuts from just roaming on campus. Taking walks around campus can help you find the easiest routes to get around.

5. You might get lonely, but that’s okay.

It’s not the best part about transfer and at first, it’s tough. Transferring means most people here have their friend groups. Just be yourself, making new friends will take a bit more effort. It won’t last forever. With that said…

6. Get Involved

Being involved on campus not only helps you make new friends, but you get to enjoy and make the most of your time here at UMaine. Find something with your major and find something that peaks your interest. Being a part of activities on campus is the best way to make new memories.

Transferring in the end is not the easiest thing to do in someone’s college career. But transferring to UMaine, thanks to the people and staff goesas smooth as possible.

Photo 1 courtesy of Taylor Roy

Photo 2 courtesy of Lauren Emery

Ali is a third year Mechanical Engineering major at the University of Maine. She enjoys volunteering with FIRST Robotics, reading and spending time with friends.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.