What to do on UMaine’s Annual Quebec Trip!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The annual Quebec City trip just passed by but there’s always next year!

The five hour bus ride is well worth the weekend spent in the French Canadian city. Every year three Coach buses herd 300 students up north across the border to enjoy the Winter Carnival in the heart of the city. For a reasonable price of one hundred dollars, students are hooked up with two nights stay at the Delta Quebec and transportation there and back. The hotel is located right in the inner city and a short walk away from shopping, restaurants, ice-skating, and the Winter Carnival festivities.

The European-like feel of the city is a total 360 from the rural town of Orono. Bounded by hilly sidewalks and aged buildings, you feel like you were teleported back in time. Make sure to check out the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac on the water front, it’s an awesome hotel that looks like a castle. Prior to the building of the hotel, the site was occupied by the Chateau Haldimand, residence of the British colonial governors of Lower Canada and Quebec.

About an hour after passing through the Maine-Quebec boarder, the buses pull up to the hotel and each student is given a room key. Then you are set free for the next two days to explore with your friends and enjoy what the culture has to offer.  The first order of business is to set out on a hunt for food after that anxious bus ride, (with complementary movies). Remember to bring your winter gear and some good walking shoes, the terrain is hilly and the temperature is much lower than in Orono, believe it or not. Walk down the hill to the main street of the city and start exploring! There are great little coffee shops with awesome lattes that you can’t get anywhere here on campus. Take a walk over to the ice skating rink in the central common; if you want to show off your skills remember to brink you skates.

After checking out the city in the daylight it’s time to get ready for the nightlife. If you are 18 or older you get to enjoy the privileges of drinking legally. The alcohol is much more expensive than in the states, so choose wisely and be responsible. Make sure to check out the club Le Dagobert and club Ozone. They both have great music and awesome dance floors. 

Even though it is very tempting to sleep away the next day in the hotel and order room service, make sure you hit the Carnival at least for the afternoon. Wear your snow boots because it really is a winter wonderland. Check out the awesome ice sculptures, dog sled racing, toboggan race, the huge ice castle, and don’t forget to try the homemade maple syrup lollipops.

The people of Quebec live for this carnival and it’s a great chance to experience a different culture and have fun at the same time. The city offers all sorts of different food to try and a chance to practice your French. Take advantage of this trip while your still in college and this close to the border!