This Weeks Movie Review: Captain Phillips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Captain Phillips

A review by Maria NeCastro of http://girlwiththemovieblog.blogspot.com/

From the Oscar-winning director, Paul Greengrass, comes this stunning Oct. 11 release, Captain Phillips.  Based on a true story, the internationally-known Tom Hanks stars as Captain Richard Phillips in one of the year’s best films.

The story behind this film is based on the events that happened in 2009 when pirates hijacked a U.S. Marines cargo ship off of the coast of Somalia in the Gulf of Aden.  The ship, Maersk Alabama, was the first American cargo ship to be illegally seized in two hundred years. 

While the story is one of the most compelling to be projected on the silver screen in recent years, it is the intensity and raw talent of the cast that makes this film worth watching.

Tom Hanks is undoubtedly one of the greatest actors of his time; his performance in this film is consistent with that of his best acting (Forrest Gump and The Terminal), as he completely closes the gap between actor and role, making for an unmatched viewing experience.

In addition to Hanks, what really makes this film worth watching is the fact that it is not a one-sided story.  The movie is not only about the struggle of a crew on board an American ship, it is also about the motivation behind the pirates’ brutal actions.

In his acting debut, Barkhad Abdi plays Muse, the leader of the Somalian pirates that board the Maersk Alabama.  Muse, as well as the other pirates, are under great pressure to return home with a substantial amount of money for their bosses.  While the fact that they are desperate does not forgive them for putting the lives of others in danger, it makes for a very complex and deep plot, full of emotional turmoil.

This movie is a true contender for the upcoming award season.  Comparable Zero Dark Thirty, this is one of the best movies that have been released within recent years…not to mention, it’s also based on a true story.

Grade: A

Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.