This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

We had COVID-19. When this pandemic started, those were words that didn’t seem possible. In March of 2020, there was a very sudden uproar about the coronavirus coming to the U.S. Lots of students probably remember getting the email telling everyone that they had to leave campus. Little did anyone know that this pandemic would still be going on a year later. Our stories are different from others who have had COVID. Unfortunately, millions of people around the world are not alive to talk about their experiences. We’re going to talk about our time with COVID and our advice if your test results are positive. 

Paige’s Story

I came in close contact with someone who had COVID the week before Thanksgiving. I had been living on campus in the dorms since August, so I knew I was at risk by living in a communal environment. After hearing I had come in close contact and likely had the virus myself, I had the option to quarantine at home. I packed up all my necessities for winter break in about a half hour and drove three hours north. Looking back, I made the best decision. It was nice to be in the comfort of my own home, especially after I started getting symptoms.

Three days after getting home, I received my positive result. At that point, I felt as if I had the flu. Later in the week, I experienced more uncommon symptoms like vomiting. Even after I had gone through the 14 day quarantine period, I still had not fully recovered. I saw my primary care provider, and she gave me an electrocardiogram and a round of antibiotics. After seeing my doctor, I haven’t had any long lasting physical symptoms, but I found that this experience has definitely affected my mental health just as much as my physical health. 

Eleanor’s Story

I had a few close calls with getting COVID. I had always tried to be safe but sometimes being in contact is unavoidable. The scariest part about COVID is that you don’t necessarily know that you have it. A close friend of mine tested positive and we had just watched the Bachelor together the Monday before, like we did every Monday night. 

I started getting body aches and a headache at first. My symptoms started on a Thursday morning and I got tested the next morning. I was awaiting my results and during the waiting period, I had to find a place to go. I couldn’t stay at my apartment or a friend’s house, and a hotel was too expensive. I sat in my car for a few hours scrambling to find a place to stay. I was able to stay in a quarantine room at a hotel thanks to the university. I didn’t get my test results back until Tuesday afternoon, over four days after my initial test. As I was in quarantine, my symptoms remained pretty stable. My biggest symptom was a stuffy nose. I had a headache every once in a while and I eventually lost my taste and smell, which I still don’t have fully back. The worst of my symptoms were in the first couple days. I was lucky in not getting very sick.

Our Advice

Our experiences having COVID will not be the same as yours if you get it. Luckily, there are some things we can give advice on if you do get COVID. 

1. Download DoorDash or UberEats. On DoorDash, you get the first 30 days with no extra fees which will save some money.

2. Have a lot of tissues on hand. 

3. Sleep/rest as much as you can. 

4. Reach out to your professors if you feel too ill to complete assignments to your best abilities. The majority of professors will be understanding and lenient with deadlines while you’re sick.

5. Have a thermometer and ibuprofen if you have a fever or headache. 

6. If you have to quarantine somewhere other than home, pack enough t-shirts and sweatpants for the week.

7. Take it easy. It makes sense if you’re eager to go into your normal routine after quarantine, but you can end up feeling even worse and having to see your doctor. Ease back into your routine and be kind to yourself!

8. Continue to wear a mask and be safe!

9. Take care of your mental health!!

I'm Eleanor, a business student with a minor in legal studies. In my free time you can catch me playing with my dog, listening to Harry Styles, shopping, or watching Netflix.
Paige is the Campus Correspondent for the University of Maine's chapter of HerCampus. She is an English and Journalism double major with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in media studies. In her free time, Paige is likely reading, writing, talking loudly or thinking about what to do next.
Logan Swift

U Maine '23

Logan is a rising third-year student attending the University of Maine! She is a Her Campus editorial intern and the president of the Her Campus UMaine chapter. Outside of Her Campus, she loves photography, fitness, and playing some good 'ol Animal Crossing.