Traveling the World with Jade: Sea Olympics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The ship is exciting sometimes! On the 7 day trip from Salvador, Brasil to Bridgetown, Barbados, we had a Semester at Sea 2014 Sea Olympics right on the boat. The middle day of the 7 days was a study day…but really a “do nothing and participate in Sea Olympics” day. On the ship every hall is separated into a different sea. There are 7 seas: Yellow Sea (my sea), Adriatic Sea, Arabian Sea, Caribbean Sea, Mediterranean Sea, Bering Sea and the lifelong learners and faculty are the SAS Seahorses. Everyone dressed up in their sea colors like people do during spirit week in high school. The big events that were held in the Union were the banner, cheer and lip sync competition, all of which my sea failed miserably…last place. However, we ended up rallying and came in 3rd overall! The best part was that we were the smallest sea on the ship! Since we live on Deck 2, we have the smallest sea. All the other seas have over 100 people in theirs while the Yellow Sea has only 60 or 70. Our RD is so cute too, she is all about good sportspersonship and cheering for everyone! We got a lot of spirit points from stuff like that!

The events I participated in were Minute to Win It and Limbo. The Minute to Win it got cut and my team came in last, but we had lots of fun! And the Limbo competition was so much fun! There were so many people there. The SAS Seahorse Sea included the children of faculty or lifelong learners in which we had no competition with, but we put up a good fight! The starting height was low, and it got real low. I got really low, but there were other people that were soooo flexible! The other big event was the synchronized swimming competition. It was hilarious to see the sea’s competing! Teams consisted of 4 or 5 people and you could mix your own music. The team that ended up winning all had really hot guys on their team who are really funny, which made their routine funny. But surprisingly, they were actually really good. It was graceful, well-choreographed and actually in-sync! Everyone’s were really funny and good, too. The Sea Olympics were really fun, just like Neptune Day was!

Jade is a junior at the University of Maine majoring in Mechanical Engineering. She loves sports (especially soccer), traveling, fashion, art and going out with friends. Raised next door to Orono, she attended Bangor High School where she was a three sport athlete and a part of several clubs and councils. Recently, she studied abroad during the fall 2014 semester with Semester at Sea visiting 15 countries over 4 months.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.