Top 10 Spring Cleaning and Organization Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

As the semester comes to a close with finals near and the warm weather arriving, it’s hard to stay organized and plan ahead. Before we know it, summer will be here, meaning it’s time for a much needed spring cleaning! Here are the top 10 tips to cleaning out and staying organized. 

1. Throw out old papers

If you haven’t already dumped those old papers and annoying worksheets from last semester, now would be the time (Unless you really want to use them for your summer bonfires)!

2. Bring winter clothes to consignment stores

Haven’t worn that sweater during the past five months? Are you likely to wear it next winter? No, probably not. Put it aside to consign in the fall. Why not make some money while you’re at it?

3. Thoroughly clean the apartment/dorm

When was the last time you actually really cleaned your apartment? When I say clean, I mean really clean- vacuum, clean the bathrooms, sweep the floors, etc. This will make moving out less stressful. 

4. Spruce up your Résumé

What new things have you gotten involved in? Maybe you’ve gotten involved in a new club or taken on some leadership role this semester. Add it to the résumé so you keep yourself up to date. 

5. Sell old textbooks

You have to have at least some old textbooks laying around. You definitely don’t need them anymore, so sell, sell, sell! 

6. Revamp the wardrobe

Out with the old and in with the new! Hit up the spring clothing sales and take advantage of the stores that offer college student discounts like J. Crew, Banana Republic, Toms, ASOS, The Limited and Madwell. 

7. Come up with some fun DIYs 

Bring to life your inner artist and designer. Get a little crafty and make a few dorm room DIY’s to spruce it up. 

8. Clean the fridge and pantry

Clean the fridge from any spoiled foods or expired bottles of who knows what. This is a must! Throw out those stale boxes of cereal, too! 

9. Make a summer bucket list

Summer is almost here and every year it always flies by. Have you ever looked back and thought “man, I really wish I had gotten to do _____ this summer?” Don’t let that happen again. Make a list of at least 10 things you want to do this summer. Writing them down will make it more likely you’ll accomplish them. 

10. Write all final exams and projects in your calendar now

Finals are just a few weeks away and professors may start piling up on the work. If you already know of assignments in the future, start them NOW. Write down what days you have exams and work out any conflicts. Starting now will make finals week a breeze with little stress involved. 

Additionally, to help keep yourself organized, we are giving away an Erin Condren planner! Check out our Instagram @hercampusmaine for more info- stay tuned! 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hannah is a fourth year Business Management major with a concentration in entrepreneurship at the University of Maine, Orono. She loves spending time with family, enjoying the beach during the summer months, reading, lacrosse, and horseback riding.