toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Toned Down Halloween Horror Movies for the Easily Spooked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Spooky Season is here! If you’re anything like me, fall is hands down the best season. There’s so many things to love such as apple picking, pumpkin carving, warm sweaters, pumpkin spice lattes, and colorful trees. The end of October means the warm and cozy feeling of fall is turning into horrow movies and scary costumes, and some people aren’t so enthusiastic. So, for all my fellow movie lovers out there, I’ve put together a list of toned down Halloween horror movies you can enjoy with your friends without feeling like you’ll have nightmares for a week!

1. Hocus Pocus (PG) – A classic Halloween movie many of us enjoyed as kids that is still just as entertaining today. The dynamic between the three witches is nothing short of hilarious, and this movie is perfect for the whole family to watch for Halloween. 
  2. The Boy (PG-13) – This is not only one of my favorite horror movies, it’s one of my favorite movies, period. I’m not always one for gore-ridden scary movies, so this one is perfect because it has more of a creepy, eerie, mysterious feel with a plot twist that you’ll never forget. It is probably the scariest movie out of the six in this list, but if you’re feeling a little more daring, this is a great one to try! (Despite the rating, please be aware that The Boy depicts sensitive subjects such as suicide, abusive relationships and deaths of children. Viewer discretion advised)
  3. Casper (PG) – A great family movie that has enough of the Halloween spirit but without the horror. Casper is an adorable, charismatic ghost that lives in a mansion. The movie has its moments of drama and seriousness, but overall is another good choice for those who want to get into Halloween movies, but don’t want to feel too scared to watch. 
  4. Ghostbusters (PG) – Who ya gonna call? I feel like everyone has seen or heard of Ghostbusters at least once in their lives. This movie is comical, family friendly, and perfect for Halloween.
  5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (PG) – This Tim Burton classic is another one of my favorite Halloween themed films. It’s perfect for people of all ages and tastes, and the characters are so easy to love. I definitely recommend watching The Nightmare Before Christmas this October!
  6. Hansel and Gretal: Witch Hunters (R) – This might not be the best choice for those who aren’t the biggest fans of gore or jump scares, but this is probably my favorite take on the Hansel and Gretel story I’ve seen so far. I will say that it is very bloody and riddled with profanity, but what makes it worth it is the humorous, nail-biting action and overall bad-a**ery of this movie. Another great choice if you’re feeling brave enough to step outside your comfort zone.
Sophomore Anthropology Major, WGS Minor
Camille is a fourth-year Political Science major with minors in Leadership Studies and Legal Studies at the University of Maine. She is the Editor in Chief for her chapter, competes in competitive Mock Trial, and is the Treasurer of the Pre-Law Society. Her future plans are to graduate in 2020 and attend law school.