Tis the Season: To Glam Your Face with DIY Masks for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The harsh air of winter is coming and its not going to be forgiving to our hair and skin.  Try out these 5 masks made from everyday items found in your kitchen or bathroom. 

Quick Face Masks- School is in full force. Schedules are becoming routines. Our social lives and school are well balanced with each other. Time is a luxury that is not allotted to many of us.  Here are some quick tips that to liven up your complexion. 

Oat Meal Egg Mask: This mask is perfect to just keep your face looking great.  The oatmeal is soothing and helps inflamed pores while the egg yolk will add moisture to your skin.
Ingredients: 1 egg yolk, 1 cup of oatmeal
Instructions:

• Crush up the oatmeal and add egg yolk
  • Apply and leave for 10-15 minutes
  • Rinse off with warm water

Aspirin Mask: This mask will reduce redness and blemishes. 
Ingredients: approx.15 aspirins, water
Instructions:

• Crush up the aspirins
  • Add water and stir until the powder turn into a paste consistency.
  • Apply and leave for 10 minutes
  • Rinse off with warm water

Milk of Magnesia Mask: This mask is great if you have oily skin. Also, you can use it on pimples and as a primer for makeup to reduce the shine.
Ingredients: Milk of Magnesia
Instructions:

• Apply the milk of magnesia with a cotton ball
  • Leave for 10-15 minutes
  • Rinse off with warm water

Avocado Hair Mask- We all know about moisturizing your skin during the winter to avoid dry skin, but not many of us will think to protect our hair.  This avocado hair mask will surely put lots of moisture back into your luscious strands.  The high fat content and protein is very nourishing.  The cold temperature is damaging even if you can’t see it. And going to school in Maine, there are plenty of cold days ahead of us. So try this to put moisture back into your hair.

Ingredients:

• Half of a ripe avocado
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of olive or castor oil

Instructions:

• Mash the avocado and mix in the egg and oil
  • Slowly apply the mask to your hair
  • Put on a shower cap
  • Wrap it up with a warm towel
  • Wait 25 to 30 minutes
  • Rinse out your hair thoroughly with shampoo

Try to make your own masks by combining different household products. Use coffee grinds for they are great exfoliates and have antioxidant agents. You can add honey to help fight against sun damage. There is no need to go get skin care products; you just need to go look in your fridge.  

photo credit: google images