This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Somehow, the month of September has come and gone yet again. Luckily for freshman students, they have now conquered one month of college, a feat they should be proud of. Magdalene Bradford, Kaitlyn Helfen, and Avery Rolfe, three freshmen at the University of Maine, have each answered some questions about how their first month of college has gone. Their responses prove that the first month of college looks pretty similar for all freshman, with everyone sharing the same nerves and excitement.

Here are the three ladies I interviewed!

Magdalene Bradford

Kaitlyn Helfen

Avery Rolfe

What is your current major or ideal major and what do you hope to have for a career?

Magdalene: Elementary education and I am hoping to teach kindergarten or 1st grade.

Kaitlyn: I am currently in the Explorations Program as an undeclared major. I am not certain as to what I will be pursuing as a career, however, I am certain that whatever I decide will be the right fit for me. 

Avery: I am hoping to go into nursing next semester.

What has been your favorite part of your first month as a college student?

Magdalene: My favorite part of this first month would probably be making new friendships but also seeing familiar faces and hanging out with them too.

Kaitlyn: Being a college student for the first time has been quite a challenge, however, I have found some joy in the small things. Joining a few clubs has helped me sort of “escape” from school and homework. The clubs bring joy and happiness to me, even when I am stressed about schoolwork. It has really helped me come out of my shell and make new friendships and relationships with others. 

Avery: I have enjoyed meeting new people and connecting with them. I feel closer with these people than people I’d known for my whole life.

How are your classes going? Which is the most interesting or the most challenging?

Magdalene:  Classes are going well as of right now. I do have a day where I have three exams but other than that they are great. I would say my most interesting class would also be my most challenging class. Right now, psych is super interesting and I’m learning a lot about the human brain and how it works. However, retaining the information is where I am struggling. There are so many terms and definitions and some of them are very similar, so it is challenging at times.

Kaitlyn: Each class is challenging in its own way, and each class has its own pros and cons. However, my favorite class would have to be General Psychology. Although it’s the most challenging class that I am taking, my professor makes a 2.5 hour class extremely interesting and there’s always something to look forward to. 

Avery: I like the majority of my classes, but Women’s Gender Studies is probably my least favorite because I don’t really enjoy the topic. I love sociology and the professor so that’s has to be my favorite. Biology is my hardest class as the content is all new and confusing.

How is dorm life going for you? Worst and best part? 

Magdalene: Dorm life is going as well as dorm life can be. I like the people in my hall and we all get along really well so I would say that is the best part. The worst part would be doing laundry and showering. I’m slightly a germaphobe so sharing things like that grosses me out a little. 

Kaitlyn: Settling into my dorm took a long time, but I’ve definitely gotten used to everything. Living with someone in a small room was extremely difficult at first, but my roommate and I have developed a morning and night routine that has helped each day go by nice and easy. Dorm life isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Avery: Dorm life is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I really don’t like York Hall just because it’s so far from everything.

If you could go back in time, what advice would you give to yourself pre-college?

Magdalene: Some advice I would give myself a month ago is to put yourself out there more. I have a great group of friends right now, but I am hoping to make more in addition to them. I wish I had gone up to some people and introduced myself because everyone is in the same boat and is trying to make friends. However, now people have their friend groups, so it is harder to make more friends.

Kaitlyn: The best advice I could give to myself pre-college is to be open to meeting new people and be open to new opportunities. Being uncomfortable with strangers is good in this situation.

Avery: I would just remind myself that I can do it and not to stress about the things that you can’t control.

Camille is a fourth-year Political Science major with minors in Leadership Studies and Legal Studies at the University of Maine. She is the Editor in Chief for her chapter, competes in competitive Mock Trial, and is the Treasurer of the Pre-Law Society. Her future plans are to graduate in 2020 and attend law school.