This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Portland Maine is one of my favorite places to go. The amazing shops and restaurants pull you in to a fun and exciting day. I definitely have been missing Portland a lot since being in Orono, so I wanted to share some of the best hidden places in Portland that I have found. 

1. The Sock Shack

The Sock Shack is a small store that sells a HUGE amount of different pairs of socks. They have a bunch of designs from dogs to avocados! If you’re ever around the area, this is definitely the place to check out.

2. Hot Suppa

This is a wonderful place to go if you want some delicious southern food. Hot Suppa is a small restaurant with a big reputation. I have been to Hot Suppa many times and it doesn’t disappoint. You can drop by and get a cheeseburger, some mac and cheese, or a salad. It’s a very diverse but well put together menu.

3. Nickelodeon Cinemas

This is a multitheater cinema that’s quite different from your traditional Cinemagic. The Nickelodeon Cinemas have more of an older cinema feel, but they show current movies along with some independent films. 

4. Duckfat Friteshack

Walking around town and looking for a quick snack? Duckfat Friteshack is the place to go. This is a very small rustic shack off the side of the road. They serve fries with your choice of some crazy dipping sauces, such as Truffle Ketchup, Curry Mayo, and aioli. It is one of the most unique places I have ever been to in Portland, but I certainly recommend the fries with aioli.

5. Beal’s

Beal’s is easily my favorite ice cream place ever. I have a Beal’s in my hometown as well as Portland, and they have some creamy ice cream. This Beal’s is located in a basement-like complex, so it can be easy to miss. You won’t ever regret going there during a nice hot summer day!

Logan Swift

U Maine '23

Logan is a rising third-year student attending the University of Maine! She is a Her Campus editorial intern and the president of the Her Campus UMaine chapter. Outside of Her Campus, she loves photography, fitness, and playing some good 'ol Animal Crossing.
Camille is a fourth-year Political Science major with minors in Leadership Studies and Legal Studies at the University of Maine. She is the Editor in Chief for her chapter, competes in competitive Mock Trial, and is the Treasurer of the Pre-Law Society. Her future plans are to graduate in 2020 and attend law school.