Culture > News

Taking One for The Team: Ohio Teen Wins State Championship On Her Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Imagine being the only girl from your high school’s track and field team to qualify for the indoor state championship. It seems like an impossible feat, but on March 8, 2023, a high school senior from a small town in Ohio did just that, and she is far from done. 

It sounds crazy, but Juliette Lararcuente-Huebner not only qualified for the Ohio Association of Track and Cross Country Coaches D2/3 state championships but also won the state title on her own—all while setting three new state records in the process. She also qualified for the New Balance Indoor Nationals. Huebner, a senior at Marengo Highland High School in Ohio, amassed 40 points for her high school, winning first place in four events. 

Huebner competed alone at the OATCCC D2/3 Indoor State Meet in Geneva, Ohio. She represented her high school in the long jump, triple jump, high jump, and 60-meter hurdles. According to Ohio Milesplit’s recap written by Olivia Ekpone, “Huebner’s performances in the long, triple, and high jump events and the 60-meter hurdles have her ranked among the top 25 high school athletes in the nation.”

Huebner won the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.56 seconds. Huebner also took first in the high jump, long jump, and triple jump. She won the high jump with a jump of 5-8.25, also won the long jump with a leap of 20-3.5, and in her last event, the triple jump she won with a jump of 41-8.75.

All of these results are new OATCCC state records. 

Her time in the hurdles has her ranked 18th nationally.  Additionally, her distances in the long and triple jump have her ranked 4th and 5th in the United States. Huebmer’s personal best came in her season opener, where she cleared a height of 5 feet nine inches, which is tied for 4th in the nation.

In her post-meet interview with Shawn Conlon, Huebner talked about the plan to go into the meet competing in four individual events. She said that “We honestly didn’t have a plan this year.” Huebner emphasized that she wanted to try and get as many reps in for the long, high, and triple jump.

Huebner is committed to the University of Cincinnati, where she’ll compete for the women’s track and field team.

I'm a graduating senior studying journalism & media studies. I love to write op-eds and personal essays. I'm an aspiring sports writer wanting to focus on women in sports and issues within.