Switching Up Your Workouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Switching Up Your Workouts
–Why you and your favorite cardio machine need to take a break

It’s easy to get in a work-out rut. When you even make the time to scoot in to the gym, it is easiest to just hop on the treadmill or the elliptical for 20 minutes and call it good. Even though it is commendable to squeeze in exercise at all, doing the same work-out all the time has some down-sides.

First of all, it gets boring to do the same thing all the time. When you equate boredom with exercise, you are much less likely to hit up the gym at all.

The other problem is that the more you do the same type of exercise, the less effective it will be. Fitness instructor Heather Dale reports on fitsugar.com: “with the repetition of the same type of workout, your body will get used to the exercise routine and will consume less energy. If you change up the exercise routine, your body will be continually challenged and it will burn more calories.”

If you tend to casually use the elliptical or the treadmill, try varying the intensity. HIIT – “high intensity interval training”- is a great way to bust boredom and boost the efficiency of your work-out. Start out with a brisk-walking speed for 1:30, then sprint all-out for 30 seconds. Keep doing this variation back and forth for a full 20-25 minute exercise. Or, vary the incline of the treadmill or elliptical if you don’t enjoy running– spike the incline as high as you can for 30 seconds and then bring it back down for 1:30.

If you usually do more intense work-outs on cardio machines, try toning it down a few days a week. Your body needs recovery time to repair itself so it can build muscle and strength. Try pilates, full-body stretching, or take a walk outside.

Classes are also great options; working out with other people can keep your interest-level and motivation high – and it’s fun! Zumba, yoga, and kick-boxing are all great options. Many of these classes are offered right at the Student Rec Center.

Getting in a work-out doesn’t have to be boring or routine. Switch it up after about three times of doing the same thing, and bring a friend! Working out with other people is always a good way to ensure that you will actually squeeze in that work-out instead of watching two more episodes of Real Housewives.

Olivia is a senior pursuing a Marketing degree at the University of Maine at Orono. Besides being a co-branch correspondent for the Her Campus UMaine Branch, she is the business manager for the University of Maine student newspaper, The Maine Campus. One of her many interests is fashion and writes as a contributing fashion writer for Her Campus UMaine. Olivia hopes to land a career in the industry after graduation.