The Student Women’s Association Participates in 1 in 3 Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.
The Student Women’s Association (SWA) took to the stage in Minsky hall November 5 and 6 to highlight a controversial and often taboo topic; abortion. Seated in a semi-circle, members stepped forward to read the words and experiences of people whose life had been affected by abortion. 

The play concluded the week long 1 in 3 Campaign SWA had been participating in. The 1 in 3 Campaign uses storytelling in order to humanize abortion, focusing on the people instead of the politics. Their goal is to end the stigma and shame people who chose abortion face.

The play is comprised of over 400 abortion stories submitted to the 1 in 3 Campaign from men and women wanting to share their experiences. The event was free and welcomed donations to Mabel Wadsworth Center, an independent, non profit, free-standing feminist health center located in Bangor.

Jessica Carnigan was elected by her a fellow Student Women’s Association members to be the event organizer for this yearly campaign. Carnigan is a third year student majoring in both sociology and Women’s Gender and Sexuality. 

Why does she believe so strongly in telling these stories? “Because of the silence that surrounds abortions, it has become a shameful and taboo topic regardless of the enormous amount of the population that it directly affects,” says Carnigan. “One out of three women will have an abortion in her lifetime, and if we share these stories we will create more dialogue and begin to see a much more accepting society towards abortion.”

To learn more about the campaign, check out the 1 in 3 Campaign website. 

Terry Shortt is a fourth year Journalism major minoring in WGS Studies and Creative Writing at the University of Maine. In her free time she enjoys writing, reading, playing dress up, crafting, and eating. She fancies herself to be a sex positive, feminist, Martha Stewart. She enjoys the simple pleasures in life, like warm summer nights and perfect cat-eyes.
Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.