The Struggle of a Mid-Week Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

This year Halloween is on a Wednesday, which you might not think it is important but trust me…it is. Trying to figure out which weekend is Halloweekend is the most frustrating thing I have ever had to do. Is it the weekend before Halloween or is the weekend after? Is it both? Does anyone even know at this point? I feel like we should have put out a survey to get an idea of when to dress up. Should I have my costume ready for the weekend before or the weekend after? Well I learned that the answer was not so simple. Saturday night I was told to wear a costume to a Halloween party, which is fine because I had mine ready anyway. WELL, it turns out my friends and I were the only ones who got that memo. It was, to say the least, incredibly freaking awkward. Fortunately, after an hour or so another group of people came dressed up for Halloween and it was a little less uncomfortable.

Another problem is who the heck is going to go out on a Wednesday night? Like honestly, I am not judging if you want to party on a Wednesday, but I can barely muster up enough energy to go out once a weekend let alone midway through the week. Plus most people have class or work the next morning, and no costume party is worth the nightmare of an early morning after a night out.

I think that we can all agree that while Halloween is a super fun holiday in college, midweek Halloweens suck. I personally vote that we change the date of Halloween to the way Thanksgiving works, like the third Friday of October or whatever because I am just over all the confusion and miscommunication that a Wednesday Halloween brings me!

Emma is a junior at the University of Maine at Orono. She double majors in sociology and political science and is minoring in law and legal studies. In her free time, Emma loves to go fishing, snowmobile, kayak, read, sew and explore the great state of Maine! Instagram: @empooler
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!