Wellness > Health

Step Outside, Explore the Orono Area in it’s Blanket of Snow: Bea’s Guide to a Maine Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

For some people, Maine winters are a time to curl up in your bed with a good book, binge a Netflix series, or grind it out at the gym. I’ll admit, all of those activities are ones I enjoy partaking in too, but I also like to get outside and enjoy the chilly weather. I know for myself and many other people in the University of Maine community, there is nothing that wakes us up more than enjoying the beautiful world around us. I feel like there is a constant blur of complaints in regards to Maine winters and as much as I respect if someone decides that they hate the ice, snow, and cold, I think that Maine winters are just as beautiful as the summers and that the icy beauty is not frequently uncovered. So here I present to you, five out-of-the-box outdoor activities to try in the Orono area for little to no money, in the hopes that they urge you to enjoy this time of year just a little more. 

1. Sledding at Chick Hill (Clifton, approximately 36 minutes from campus)

By far one of my favorite memories and activities to do in the winter is sledding down Chick Hill. Chick Hill is a small mountain that is 1.3 miles up and down and the hike follows a fire road to the top, where there is both a tower and amazing views. This wide road gets covered by snow in the winter and makes for a killer sled ride down. When my friends and I first decided we would take on the mega-sledding hill, we picked up sleds at Walgreens in Old Town on the way and they were these cheap $10 plastic toboggans (for all my sledding veterans, you know that the lighter the sled the better the ride). Upon our arrival, we hiked up the road with our sleds in hand and reached the top, where we hopped on our sleds and bombed down the entire mountain. One piece of advice I would give is to make sure to wear gloves so you can steer as it’s a winding road and you get going really fast. I’d say that in total this is a continuous ride of about fifteen minutes and I’d be lying if I said this super fun weekend excursion wasn’t a highlight of my spring semester last year. 

2. Hiking of Great Pond Mountain (Orland, approximately 56 minutes from campus)

Another beautiful hike, only a car ride away from campus, is Great Pond Mountain. Although I hiked this in the late fall and there were just a few inches of snow on the ground at the time, I am sure it is still manageable in the February snow. This hike is a little more strenuous than Chick Hill but is still relatively short as it is 2.3 miles total round trip. The hike up is winding and very well maintained and at one point during the hike, you even stumble upon a beautiful built-in stone staircase. The top is very bare, unlike many other Maine mountains, and this offers spectacular views of Craig Pond lying right at the base and on a clear day, you might even spy the peaks of Acadia National Park! Make sure you plan accordingly for the weather, meaning warm (not cotton!) layers, and maybe even spikes for your shoes for gripping the trail. Also, additionally in winter months, the access road is not always open, so you might have a little bit of a walk up until you reach the trailhead. This is a great place for a day trip where you can make lasting memories with friends! 

3. Skate the Stillwater River (On Campus)

Please make sure that before partaking in this activity you make sure the river is VERY frozen! I do not advise skating on the river unless you have seen people out there that day doing so. Ice in Maine is very unpredictable, especially ice formed on moving water which causes some areas to be thicker than others, so use caution and don’t skate too far. That being said, if you have skates available to you, I highly suggest heading out with some of your friends on a cold day and skating around the Stillwater River. A great place to park and access it is the Steam Plant parking lot because there’s a boat launch area that provides easy access to the ice. Last year, my friend and I were able to skate all the way to downtown Orono and it was amazing – it’s always fun to explore a new area of Orono but please remember to use caution when you’re out there!

4. Sunrise in Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor, approximately 1 hour 20 minutes from campus)

We live not too far from one of the most beautiful places in the world, attracting 3.54 million people in 2018 alone. If you haven’t been to Acadia National Park yet, it’s an absolute must for everyone! Home to many mountains, beaches and sea cliffs, there are endless things to do there, and so many things to see. Cadillac Mountain is said to be the first place to see the sunrise in the United States from October 7th to March 6th, so go see the first light of the day at one of the most beautiful spots in Maine! This fall, I woke up bright and early and drove to Acadia where my friends and I went up the mountain road to see the sunrise at the top and it was gorgeous! The only downfall was the number of tourists because understandably, the flocks of people definitely put a damper on things but the best part of living in Orono is that you can visit the park during the winter season with ease (avoiding the summer swarms of tourists). The park loop road is normally open during the winter, providing access to some of the mountains, along with Sand Beach so although you would have to hike to see the sunrise at the top of Cadillac in the winter, you could watch the rising sun from the red cliffs by Sand Beach. All in all, it’s truly an amazing experience and one I can’t recommend enough!

5. Cross Country Ski Trails Behind the New Balance Student Recreation Center (On Campus)

Lastly, use the resources we have here at the University of Maine! Maine Bound, is located on campus by the Student Union, and they have all sorts of rentals available to all students, including cross country skis, however, they do charge for rentals but it’s not too steep and affordable for anyone interested. There are groomed trails accessible on campus behind the New Balance Student Recreation Center and this is a fun winter activity that isn’t too hard to pick up and learn! After a few hours out there, you will be skiing like a pro before you know it and if you’re new to nordic skiing, bring a friend to learn with you – it makes things much more fun when you have someone to laugh with every time you fall! Give it a try, get some fresh air, and enjoy the land the University of Maine has to offer. 

So there you have it, my list of five activities on campus or up to an hour away at the absolute max that can help you make the most out of Maine winters and all there is to offer. There are so many things you could be doing in the dark depths of the Orono winter and all you have to do is just step outside and see for yourself. No more complaining about the constant snow, learn how to embrace and have fun with it! 

I am a senior Ecology and Environmental Science major concentrating in Sustainability, Environmental Policy, and Natural Resource Management with a minor in Political Science. I love spending my time outside, skiing, surfing and hiking as well as writing, singing and playing music! I am very passionate about conserving the environment and creating a more sustainable future.