Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Spring Break Edition: Carry-On Travel Essentials (and Some Extras)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Everyone knows that flying can get very tiring because no matter the length of your flight, sitting in an airplane seat can make your body sore from head to toe – there’s no preventing that. Not only can it get tiring but the whole process can be extremely stressful from preparation to execution. From ordering your tickets to boarding the flight, one little thing out of order can change your whole experience and have an effect on your entire trip. In order to start your travel off right, packing only the necessary essentials in your carry-on can ease the first stressful element of your journey. This list of carry-on essentials will help you in preparing for the best travel experience of your life!

Carry-On Bag Recommendation: One strapped bag that can unzip into a two strapped backpack and additionally, can be adjusted to change from an off the shoulder bag to a backpack. The one I use is from Target – it’s actually smaller than the typical carry-on bag, however, with the necessary items needed for my carry-on, this type of bag is perfect!

Travel Documents:

1. Passport/Visa

2. License/ID

3. Flight information/Boarding pass 

Electronics:

1. Phone

2. Tablet/Laptop

3. Portable charger

4. Charging cords

5. Headphones/Earbuds

Entertainment:

1. Magazines/Books

2. Pens/pencils and notebooks

Overnight Essentials:

1. Light change of clothes: shirt, leggings or pants, undergarments, socks, etc.

2. Light pair of shoes (e.g. flats)

3. Heavy socks

4. Warm hat or Baseball cap

5. Sleeping mask

6. Neck pillow

7. Earplugs

Toiletries:

1. Clear bag for 3 oz. liquids

2. Travel toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, and floss

3. Facial wipes

4. Moisturizer

5. Deodorant and/or Fragrance spray

6. Travel size hair products: shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, dry shampoo, etc.

7. Hairbrush

8. Makeup

9. Hand sanitizer

10. Chapstick or lip balm

Extras:

1. Chewing gum/Mints

2. Prescription and other necessary medicine

3. Motion sickness medicine (e.g. Dramamine, etc.)

4. Pain relief medicine (e.g. Aspirin, Advil, Tylenol, etc.)

5. Sleeping pill – if needed (e.g. Melatonin, Benadryl, etc.)

6. Tissues

7. Eye drops

8. Wallet: cash, spending cards, insurance cards, etc.

9. Snacks

10. Reusable water bottle

11. Sunglasses

12. Feminine products

With these packing essentials, you will be able to utilize the most out of your allotted carry-on and you will have less thing to stress over as you prepare for the best Spring Break ever!

Kaitlyn is a first-year student at the University of Maine with a major in Elementary Education, in hopes of finding a minor in the near future. She enjoys nature walks on the bog walk, geocaching with her friends, and watching horror movies all year round!