The Spookiest Part of Halloween is Slut Shaming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Halloweekend is a time that many college students look forward to all year. Many kids spend the first half of the fall semester planning out their costumes with their friends anxiously anticipating the last weekend of October. There are endless options for what a person can be for Halloween, but one of the more controversial options deals with an entire subgenre of costumes. “Slutty” costumes are a quintessential part of costume parties yet the girls who choose to wear them are confronted with a large amount of animosity on the spookiest holiday of the year. Here are a few things to keep in mind before you think about giving a girl who is dressed as a “slutty” nurse, cat, or whatever else they want to be a hard time this Halloween.

1. Girls are allowed to wear whatever they want.

2. A “slutty” costume is not an invitation for unwanted sexual advances and doesn’t mean a girl is “asking for it”.

3. Just because more revealing costumes aren’t your thing doesn’t give you the right to put down those who like them.

4. Halloween is about having fun, not judging others who are trying to do the same.

5. Wearing a “slutty” costume does not make anyone a slut.

Its 2019, can we finally stop putting girls down for wearing what makes them feel good about themselves. Wearing a Halloween costume does not make someone a bad person or a slut. It makes them feel comfortable in their skin and if you have a problem with a girl feeling good about her sexy firefighter costume, then that’s your problem. Halloween is supposed to be a celebration of everything spooky and scary and is about having fun with your friends. Halloween is not about berating other women to fit into your idea of what is acceptable for a young lady to do or wear.

Emma Pooler

U Maine '20

Emma is a fourth-year political science and sociology major and minoring in legal studies at the University of Maine. She loves snowmobiling around northern Maine, reading, kayaking, and fishing.
Camille is a fourth-year Political Science major with minors in Leadership Studies and Legal Studies at the University of Maine. She is the Editor in Chief for her chapter, competes in competitive Mock Trial, and is the Treasurer of the Pre-Law Society. Her future plans are to graduate in 2020 and attend law school.