Shawn Johnson Opens Up about Miscarriage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

As many may know, Shawn Johnson was an Olympic gymnast who holds the 2008 Olympic balance beam gold medalist title. Additionally, she was the winner of the season 8 Dancing with the Stars. In 2016, she married the love of her life, pro football player Andrew East.

The couple recently announced they were 6 weeks pregnant only to suffer tragic news of a miscarriage 2 days later. Her pregnancy was not planned, but Johnson was so happy to tell her husband they were expecting. With such a short amount of time between finding out she was pregnant and hearing that she lost the baby, the couple has been on a rollercoaster ride with happy, sad, and scary moments in which, together, they are staying strong. Johnson reported to E News, “We know everything happens for a reason. We believe God’s got a bigger plan for us. All we can do is be positive otherwise we just sink into a hole.”

The touching video released online is the topic of discussion this week as she felt the need to share the video because a lot of others can sympathize with them. Shawn and Andrew share their story and I encourage everyone to take a peek. Check out the video using this link below:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/olympic-gymnast-shawn-johnson-shares-heartbreaking-story-of-miscarriage-in-video

1,2,3

Hannah is a fourth year Business Management major with a concentration in entrepreneurship at the University of Maine, Orono. She loves spending time with family, enjoying the beach during the summer months, reading, lacrosse, and horseback riding.