The Seriousness of SOPA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Why does Google have a black box over it and why is Wikipedia not working!? What happened? Is this going to be going on forever? Hopefully not ladies, but Internet freedoms are on the line. Google and Wikipedia are at least two major websites protesting two controversial Internet regulation acts proposed through Congress. Introducing theStop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA).

Throughout the years, the concept of music and media piracy has been a major headline, starting with sites like Napster, up until recently when Limewire was shut down. Obviously, intellectual property and copyright infringement is not our goal when surfing the web and enjoying our favorite sites. However, they have become one in the same. Enter the government, who aims to protect that which it insures.

The battle lies between the method of protection, and with how the acts currently stand; they could severely asphyxiate the Internet, as we know it. The proposed bills go further than other current copyright acts, which protect the material in question. SOPA and PIPA particularly focus on the host website. See ya never Youtube.

As the legislation currently stands, there is no telling what the economic or daily life impact could be. The big websites are against the bills as they stand, but not the idea of them. Regardless, this could affect your daily news feed or the quality of content on Her Campus. Your best bet is it to be informed and keep your knowledge current. It is never a bad idea to contact your representatives, which are exactly what Wikipedia urges the public to do. Knowledge is power Collegiette’s; make sure you know the possibilities that January 24th could bring to your laptop and your life.

photo credit: google images