mcdonalds-cheeseburger
mcdonalds-cheeseburger
McDonald's

Secret Menu Items That Will Blow Your Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Last year when I was on campus, my boyfriend and I would get takeout, borderline too frequently. Food from the dining halls just wasn’t cutting it for us (except York, I had major respect for York). Now it’s even more difficult since dining halls have a restricted amount of food. I’m sure at some point this year you have said “That was fine I guess, but what I’m really craving is some McDonald’s.” If you’re looking to have some takeout with a twist, I have compiled a brilliant list of secret menu items from some of the nearby favorites!

Chick Fil A

First off is Chick-Fil-A! They have quite a few intriguing secret menu items that are worth a try! First up is the Spicy Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Every time I go there, I get the Spicy Chicken Sandwich, which consists of a seasoned, breaded chicken breast. However, if you order a “Spicy Char,” you will get the grilled chicken alternative. That’s being healthy now, right?

Another fan favorite secret menu item is the Loaded Chicken Waffle Fries. Simply ask for waffle fries, a 12 piece nugget, pepper jack cheese, buffalo sauce, and a salad bowl (to assemble). Distribute the waffle fries evenly on the bottom of your bowl, followed with nuggets, cheese, and buffalo sauce!

McDonald’s

Another iconic food chain for college students is McDonald’s! It’s about two minutes from campus, and it’s great if you’re looking for some quick (and affordable!) grub. The first menu item to talk about is the Poor Man’s Big Mac. If you order a McDouble, add lettuce and Big Mac sauce, and ask for no ketchup, you have yourself a Big Mac for around one dollar!

Another captivating secret menu item is the Pie McFlurry. Most McDonald’s restaurants know how to make it by now. All they have to do is put their specialty apple pie into a McFlurry, blend it, and it’s all good to go!

Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC)

Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) has a lot of interesting secret items, one of them being poutine. If you’ve never heard of poutine, you’re missing out! This Canadian dish consists of french fries, cheese curds, and gravy. It’s very unique and flavorful, and KFC surprisingly offers it upon request.

The Double Down is another menu item that lots of people enjoy. It is a sandwich with bacon, Monterey and Pepper Jack cheeses, and Colonel’s sauce. Here’s the crazy part- the bun isn’t bread, rather it is purely fried chicken. That personally sounds insane to me, but I would also totally try it!

Subway

The last restaurant I’m going to share my knowledge on is Subway. Subway is already known for letting you customize sandwiches, but this secret menu item takes you past your own realm of knowledge. First up is the Pizza Sub. This consists of pepperoni, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese!

Another sub you can order is the Chicken Cordon Bleu Sub. This sub includes chicken breast, ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, and tomato topped off with honey mustard. It’s recommended that both of these sandwiches be toasted so everything is melted perfectly!

Those are my secret menu tips/DIY food creations that I think sound SO delicious if you need a little break from the dining hall food. These food chains are also pretty common, being within 20 minutes of campus. It won’t be too much of a hassle to find them (unless you’re terrible at navigation like I am)! I hope this advice makes your takeout days more meaningful and flavorful!

Logan Swift

U Maine '23

Logan is a rising third-year student attending the University of Maine! She is a Her Campus editorial intern and the president of the Her Campus UMaine chapter. Outside of Her Campus, she loves photography, fitness, and playing some good 'ol Animal Crossing.