Ryan’s Midweek Beat: Just a big pile of $h!T

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

This is the ninth installment of a brand new weekly posting right here on Her Campus UMaine! I’m a local Music Producer and DJ in the Orono area looking to share the sounds and culture of EDM with others. Twice a week you can catch me spinning some of the latest and greatest electronic tracks of today, Thursdays at 11pm on UMaine’s very own WMEB 91.9 FM and Fridays at 11pm-4am on Radio207.com. Each week I will be bringing you one of my favorite EDM tracks, varying from electro house, trap, dubstep, trip-hop, and more.

Every where I turn nowadays, Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O’Connor, a 17 year old girl from New Zealand is dominating the airways. You’ve never heard of her!? Oh I’m sorry, you may know her by her more popular stage name, Lorde. This kid came out of nowhere and in one fell swoop changed pop music’s image for the better in my opinion. My only problem is her music is severely over played/performed to the point where I’m sick of hearing it now. Everyone and their mother is playing it, singing it, or covering it. I can’t walk into a room without the faint buzz of a queen bee close by. All of this being said, my faith was restored recently when tyDi released this beautifully crafted rework of “Royals”. This week’s Midweek Beat is a subtle yet sexy variation that this song needed. “But this song has been remixed hundreds of times Ryan!” Yes I realize this, but honestly a good portion of them are just a big pile of $h!T. Any 10 year old with an iPod and Audacity thinks he/she can create a masterpiece. I’ve heard it all, remixes in clashing keys, off tempo mashes with other $h!T songs, even self sung renditions so far out of tune you’d swear it was a new track by Ke$ha. I even attempted a remix of this song myself and was so appalled by the way it was going, I sold the project file to Avicii to put on his next album. Just for your listening pleasure here are a few runner up remixes of “Royals” I can suggest: Ross Horkings Remix (Melbourne Electro House), the CAKED UP remix (Trap), and the Lazerdisk Remix (80’s inspired Funk-Hop).

Enjoy.

I'm a local Music Producer and DJ in the Orono area looking to share the sounds and culture of EDM with others. Twice a week you can catch me spinning some of the latest and greatest electronic tracks of today, Thursdays at 11pm on UMaine's very own WMEB 91.9 FM and Fridays at 11pm-4am on Radio207.com. Each week I will be bringing you one of my favorite EDM tracks, varying from electro house, trap, dubstep, trip-hop, and more, right here on Her Campus UMaine!
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.