Ryan’s Midweek Beat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

This is the eighth installment of a brand new weekly posting right here on Her Campus UMaine! I’m a local Music Producer and DJ in the Orono area looking to share the sounds and culture of EDM with others. Twice a week you can catch me spinning some of the latest and greatest electronic tracks of today, Thursdays at 11pm on UMaine’s very own WMEB 91.9 FM and Fridays at 11pm-4am on Radio207.com. Each week I will be bringing you one of my favorite EDM tracks, varying from electro house, trap, dubstep, trip-hop, and more.

Twerking is hilariously defined by Urban Dictionary as “The rhythmic gyrating of the lower fleshy extremities in a lascivious manner with the intent to elicit sexual arousal or laughter in ones intended audience” Believe it or not twerking, despite what most people think, has actually been around for quite sometime now. In the United States, twerking was introduced into the hip-hop culture by way of the New Orleans bounce music scene. Some believe bounce originated as early as the 1980s. I digress. What is bounce music? Bounce is characterized by call and response style party and Mardi Gras Indian chants and dance call-outs that are frequently hypersexual. These chants and call-outs are most often sung over the first “Triggerman beat” made famous by The Showboys. Today these early roots of bounce have evolved and found it’ts way into aspects of our modern day Trap, Electro House, and Glitch scene.

History lesson aside, this week’s beat is an excellent example of a bounce/trap fusion dropped by non-other than Diplo. Diplo has pulled great influence from this Louisianan music tradition in a large portion of his trap bangers over the years. If you’re not familiar with his name, you have some major listening to do.

Warning: This track may cause extreme gyrations in your lower back and booty. Motions may cause severe sexual arousal in those in close proximity. Listener discretion is highly advised.

I encourage you to “Express Yourself” with caution.

I'm a local Music Producer and DJ in the Orono area looking to share the sounds and culture of EDM with others. Twice a week you can catch me spinning some of the latest and greatest electronic tracks of today, Thursdays at 11pm on UMaine's very own WMEB 91.9 FM and Fridays at 11pm-4am on Radio207.com. Each week I will be bringing you one of my favorite EDM tracks, varying from electro house, trap, dubstep, trip-hop, and more, right here on Her Campus UMaine!
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.