alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Pro’s and Con’s of Living With Your BFF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Going to college with your best friend is an unbelievable experience! You’re lucky enough to go onto the next chapter of your lives together. Now that you have both committed to the same school, the question of whether or not you’re rooming together arises. This can be a difficult decision for many besties. There are pros and cons to this situation. It all depends on your ability to deal with the cons! 

Cons

1. Being roommates may take priority. Since you live together you might forget to hangout as best friends instead of roommates. Even though my bestie and I would see each other everyday, we would forget to hangout as friends rather than just sitting in the room together. 
  2. It might be harder to make new friends. A part of me believes it would’ve been easier to make friends if I had a random roommate. It’s so comfortable to stick with people you know already, but everybody wants to meet new people. My best friend and I agreed to join different clubs so we weren’t around each other 24/7.
  3. You might have different living styles. This can be hard if you’re a night owl and they’re a morning bird. You have to come to an agreement on how to live together. Even though my bestie and I are very similar, we also have very different living habits. So it’s important to compromise!

Pros

1. You always have someone to hangout with. At the beginning of the year it can be intimidating to attend events alone. When you are rooming with your best friend you don’t have to worry about being alone. So whether it be an organization fair or a football game, you will have a friend to go with you. 
  2. Coming back to your room feels like home. There’s no dancing around your roommate. You don’t have to be super conscious of everything you do. Also at the end of the night it’s so much easier to tell each other about what happened that day!
  3. It’s easier to communicate with them. It’s easier to address problems that arise when you have history with that person. When you room with your best friend you might push boundaries without even being aware of it. So it’s important you’re able to talk about it. Since you have been friends this long it shouldn’t be hard to talk about problems that arise!

I personally couldn’t be happier with my decision to room with my best friend. I would definitely make sure to explore different extracurriculars, but it is so nice to come back to a familiar face at the end of the day. Rooming together allows you to see your best friend in a new view. At this point, my best friend feels like my actual sister. Sometimes we hate each other but in the end we always love each other! If you really want it to work out you will learn to compromise!

Haley is a student a the University of Maine studying Child Development and Family Relations. Some of Haley's favorite things are music, skincare, and exercising.
Camille is a fourth-year Political Science major with minors in Leadership Studies and Legal Studies at the University of Maine. She is the Editor in Chief for her chapter, competes in competitive Mock Trial, and is the Treasurer of the Pre-Law Society. Her future plans are to graduate in 2020 and attend law school.