Progressions in the 2017 Elections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

At times, the year 2017 felt like the year 1917. There have been so many regressions when it comes to racism, sexism, and the way human beings are treated. Through all the chaos and disappointments this year has had, there was a small hint of hope on November 6, 2017. Danica Roem, a transgender woman, was elected to Virginia’s House of Electors. She beat out Del. Robert G. Marshall, who is a socially conservative man, known for introducing the “bathroom bill” (which was turned down), and for calling himself a chief homophobe. The fact that Danica Roem, who valued much of what Robert G. Marshall was against, won in this election is a progression not only for Virginia, but for the U.S. as well. It proves that her progressive values are valued by many others, and that hate doesn’t win in this case. 

Another progressive win occurred in Hoboken, New Jersey, where the people elected Ravi Bhalla, their first Sikh mayor. Ravi Bhalla not only made history, but again, proved that hate would not win in Hoboken, New Jersey. Before the election, there were posters put up around the city that portrayed him as a terrorist. The people of Hoboken, New Jersey ignored this act of hate and elected Ravi Bhalla over five other candidates. As small-scale as these wins may seem, especially compared to a presidential election, they are still progressions in a country that seems to regress every other day.

Photos: 1, 2

Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.