Procrastination 101: Why we do it and how do we stop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

It’s nearing midnight and your textbooks are sprawled out across your bed. Notebooks and pens are everywhere, but where are you? You’re staring at your computer screen watching funny cat videos on YouTube, looking through your photos from high school, or on your phone looking at the latest Vines. Why aren’t you doing your homework that’s laid out right in front of you, which is due in approximately eight hours? The most likely reason for this madness is that you are a procrastinator.

Now, please don’t feel bad! 80% of the reason why I am writing this article at this particular time is because I have hours of homework ahead of me, that of which is due tomorrow morning. Why do we do this? Why do we wait and wait until we are so stressed that we crank out a paper that isn’t even close to our best effort? The reasons are very clear, as stated by businesstown.com, here are the top five reasons we procrastinate:

1)You haven’t committed to the job

2)You’re afraid of success or failure

3)You aren’t prioritizing

4)You don’t know enough to complete the task

5)YOU JUST DON’T WANT TO DO IT

So you now know why you procrastinate, but now what? There are things you can do to deter this behavior and get your work done. Here are some tips provided by unstuck.com:

1)Make a to-do list and check off as you go

If you physically see all the things you have to do, but see them slowly dwindle away, you will feel better and more accomplished. It would also help to break down the larger projects so you have more items to check off your list!

2)Make a deal with yourself

“If I finish these two assignments before dinner, I’ll get the buff chick AND some dessert.”

3)Eliminate temptation to do other things

If you don’t already know, iPhone’s have a “Do Not Disturb” setting which actually doesn’t turn your phone off, but turns it on a silent mode so you won’t notice when you get texts and other notifications. Or go big and turn off your phone! I know it’s a scary suggestion.

4)Ask someone to help you out

Procrastinators are usually afraid of work. What comes with this is being afraid to ask for help. This isn’t asking someone to do your work for you. What is meant by this is if you’re struggling, ask for help. One of the reasons why we don’t do our work is because we are lacking knowledge. Ask a friend or ask a professor for some help!

5)Focus on success and the joy that comes with it

We all know that feeling of finally being done with a task or project. Freedom at last! Get your work done; bathe in the glory.

Now go do your homework, collegiettes!

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events. 
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.