absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

An Overview of the March for our Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Recently in this past month on March 24th, the “March for our Lives” was held with over 800 sibling events. The march was established to promote stricter gun laws. Gun laws is relaying as one of the US’s biggest battles as of right now. The rally was held in Washington D.C. with an estimated five million dollars to create the march.  Although there was an abundance of donations, several millions of dollars are needed to keep promoting stricter gun laws. 

The marches across the nation began when 17 students were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. David Hogg, Alex Wind, Emma González, Cameron Kasky, and Jaclyn Corin, and other survivors from the school shooting started the slogan #neveragain, sparking the “March for our lives” movement. Many other students have taken to social media platforms such as twitter and instagram to share their frustrations with gun laws and show their support for the innocent students who lost their lives on February 14th, 2018.

As well as being supported and pushed by many high school and collegiate students. A surplus of celebrities have shown their compassion towards the shootings, and have been using their status, power, and financial status as a platform to help promote stricter gun laws. Oprah Winfrey and George Clooney are just a couple of the big stars named in supporting this march. Clooney along with his wife donating $500,000, and Oprah Winfrey matched that. “Director Steven Spielberg and Hollywood producer Jeffrey Katzenberg also donated half a million dollars each.” (according to Sam Hoisington of NPR,inc.) To add to the list of celebrities Jennifer Hudson, Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato, Common, Vic Mensa, Andra Day, Miley Cyrus, Lin Manuel Miranda and Ben Platt all performed at the march in Washington D.C. to show their support for the cause.

Although the biggest march is over, there are still ways to get involved and donate. The “March for Our Lives” has its own foundation and website where donations can be made. Any donation will go towards the promotion of stricter gun laws, and protection for all students, as these kids and young adults should enter school everyday without fear of their safety. https://marchforourlives.com

UMaine '21, Alpha Phi
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.