This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

We all remember back in high school the most magical night of the year. The ladies feel beautiful like Jennifer Aniston strolling down the red carpet linked arm in arm with an attractive date. The scene from “21 Jump Street” with Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill stepping out of a white stretch limousine, wearing white tuxedoes, and doves flying through the air is the perfect entrance that meets every guy’s expectations. Prom is meant to be an enchanting evening enjoyed by everyone in attendance. Tim Tebow and his foundation Night to Shine granted this wish for all across the world.

For one night, individuals with special needs were brought together to celebrate their own special prom night across the globe. Tebow, along with the support of more than 150,000 volunteers, honored over 75,000 people with special needs aged 14 years and older. Simultaneously over Valentine’s Day weekend on February 10, 375 churches, all 50 U.S. states, and 11 countries on six continents participated in an unforgettable prom experience for these special individuals. The Night to Shine event promotes the movement and celebration of love for these exceptional individuals across the various time zones around the world. According to People magazine, Tebow stated the purpose for the third annual Night to Shine event taking place during a romantic weekend was to “redefine Valentine’s Day by encouraging people to focus on things bigger than themselves.” 

The ladies wore elegant gowns complete with corsages and the gentlemen were well-dressed in tuxes and boutonnieres. The beautiful princesses and handsome princes of the night arrived in limousines and walked down a red carpet while being greeted by smiling paparazzi and a friendly crowd. Once the honorary guests entered the event, they received the royal treatment which included hair, makeup, and shoe shining stations, a catered dinner, karaoke, prom favors for each guest and of course, a dance floor. The magical evening culminated with the heart touching moment when each guest was crowned king or queen of the prom. According to the Blaze, Tebow acknowledged, “This is so awesome … churches getting together to celebrate people, to love people, to make a difference in peoples’ lives. The coolest part is that every single one of you were crowned kings and queens because that’s how God looks at you every single day of your life.” 

The Night to Shine event honors the uniqueness and individuality of each special guest by gifting them a memorable and enchanting night where they are each valued, loved, and cherished. I highly advise you all to visit the Night to Shine event website and watch the heart touching videos and read inspirational stories which will certainly spread a smile across your face. The 2018 Night to Shine event is already being planned and the website provides numerous ways you can become involved with this wonderful event. Tebow stated on the Night to Shine webpage, “When I was at one of the proms last year, a beautifully dressed queen of the prom was hugging me when the girl’s mom leaned over and whispered with tears in her eyes, ‘My daughter will never get married and she will never have children, but tonight you made her feel like a princess!'”

Photos: 1, 2

Laura is a Senior at the University of Maine studying Elementary Education with a concentration in Child Development. She is a member and the Vice President of Kappa Delta Pi; which is an international honor society for individuals majoring in education. Laura loves to dedicate her time outdoors, volunteering at the Bangor Humane Society, and values spending quality time with her family.