This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

What better time to curl up and read a good book than now, with the change of the weather and the falling of the leaves? As a huge book reader, I feel strongly that the prime reading season is beginning right now, and I have a few book recommendations that I’ve loved over the past year.

1. The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin (Fiction)

I read this novel over the summer and absolutely loved it! It has a really interesting framing narrative that takes us through the life of Fiona Skinner, the main character. Her life is one that is quite abnormal, making the novel that much more compelling. The major theme of the book surrounds sibling relationships but also explores love and loss in different capacities.

2. Educated by Tara Westover (Memoir)

This memoir is one of the most thought-provoking books I’ve ever read. I had to read Educated for a college class and never expected to like it as much as I did. The book tells Tara Westover’s life story of growing up in a secluded, survivalist family that didn’t believe in schooling to eventually going to the University of Cambridge for a doctorate degree. I felt like the novel made me rethink the meaning of both education and family, as Tara’s experience with the two is so different than my own. Her story is unlike any other and has lingered in my mind ever since I read it.

3. Becoming by Michelle Obama (Memoir)

Becoming is Michelle Obama’s autobiography. It gives insight into Michelle’s early life living in Chicago, through college and working as a lawyer and all the way through her life as First Lady. The details included in the book are quite interesting and it gives a different view of what Michelle’s eight years in the White House were like. I felt very inspired after reading the book and felt even more respect for Michelle and her family.

4. Atonement by Ian McEwan (Fiction)

This novel is one that is hard to describe without spoiling its contents. Beginning in Europe in 1935, the main conflict of the story is caused by a young girl who, wanting so badly to be a part of the “adult world”, creates a huge lie that causes damage to the lives of those whom she loves. The book is quite interesting in that it follows the lives of its’ characters for seventy years and travels throughout time. Because of this, the reader gets very connected to the characters, making it hard to get through some events without shedding a tear. The movie adaptation of Atonement is also pretty well done and will definitely make you cry even if the book did not.

Camille is a fourth-year Political Science major with minors in Leadership Studies and Legal Studies at the University of Maine. She is the Editor in Chief for her chapter, competes in competitive Mock Trial, and is the Treasurer of the Pre-Law Society. Her future plans are to graduate in 2020 and attend law school.