Muffin Top-less Fall Cooking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Muffin Top-less Fall Baking

‘Tis the season for cozy over-sized sweaters, apple picking, and of course baking tasty treats! Of course you can’t make cookies, pies, breads, etc all calorie free, but you can bump up the nutritional value and cut calories in your favorite recipes. You won’t feel guilty about indulging in your favorites this fall if you use these simple swaps.

Sugar Swap.
Sugar is a carbohydrate that may not be high in calories but you’re body stores it as fat — not good! Sugars offer a quick jolt of energy but usually result in a crash a short while after you had that cookie or 5.

• Instead of using refined sugar in your baked goods, try using a sugar substitute such as Stevia, which is an all-natural sweetener that has zero calories – it’s perfect! However, be mindful that some adjustments in the amount of sugar used may be different then the original recipe calls for, since artificial sweeteners are usually much sweeter than the real stuff. Also, artificial sugars may cause some changes in the texture of your baked goods. You can also use a little sugar-free maple syrup or honey to sweeten up your recipe.
  •  If the texture is effected, I have found that using half artificial sugar and half real sugar in my recipe usually doesn’t have any issues.

Flour Power!
White, all-purpose baking flour has very little nutritional value and is highly processed, so try switching to whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour provides fiber that will keep you full longer, and possibly keeping you from going back for seconds, thirds…. okay let’s be real – keeping you from going back for fourths or fifths!

Is butter a carb?
Sadly, buttery deliciousness can pack on the pounds. Butter is very high in calories from fat and cholesterol. Luckily, there are many alterations you can make to cut the calories from butter in your favorite baked goods. The best part is, no one will ever know! These swaps generally do not alter the flavor or texture of your final product.

• One cup of applesauce has 100 calories compared to one cup of butter, that has 1,500 calories! Other healthier ideas for lower-calorie butter substitutions you can use are; pumpkin, Greek yogurt, and canola oil.

Size Matters.
Don’t you hate when you bake a batch of cookies and are left with a ton of left over? Yeah, me neither. Nevertheless, just because a recipe makes 24 cookies doesn’t mean you have to bake all 24 cookies. Try cutting the recipe in half so you aren’t tempted the rest of the week to indulge in your left over treats. If you aren’t into doing the math or putting in the time to cut the recipe in half, you could also bake the whole recipe and bring half to a friend, your classmates or co-workers. Pinterest is also a great source to find recipes for individual portions of your favorite baked goods.

Chocolate Wasted!
While chocolate chip cookies are a classic crowd pleaser, there are substitutions you can swap to boost the nutritional value that can be just as satisfying.

• Substitute nuts such as; pecans, almonds, walnuts, or even sliced almonds. Nuts have benefits such as protein and fiber that will satisfy you faster and keep you full longer.
  • Another idea is using fruit such as blueberries, this swap can save you over 200 calories and provide anti-oxidants. Dried fruits can also be used such as cranberries or raisins.

But honestly, who can give up chocolate? When choosing the type of chocolate to use, try using a dark chocolate or carob chips, some recipes you can even substitute cocoa powder for melted chocolate.

So, have that muffin, AND it’s top, without packing on the muffin top.

Credits:
http://www.fitsugar.com
http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/09/25/30-vegan-recipes-featu…

Olivia is a senior pursuing a Marketing degree at the University of Maine at Orono. Besides being a co-branch correspondent for the Her Campus UMaine Branch, she is the business manager for the University of Maine student newspaper, The Maine Campus. One of her many interests is fashion and writes as a contributing fashion writer for Her Campus UMaine. Olivia hopes to land a career in the industry after graduation.