This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Thor: The Dark World

A movie review by Maria NeCastro of http://girlwiththemovieblog.blogspot.com/

After an appearance in The Avengers, Chris Hemsworth is back on the big screen as the god of thunder in the sequel to Marvel’s 2011 release, Thor.

While one of Marvel’s infamous bad boys, Loki (played by Tom Hiddleston), is locked up for his wrongdoings that took place in the context of The Avengers, the world of Asgard comes under the attack of an ancient elven race. 

As was much anticipated, the lovers from different worlds, Jane (played by Natalie Portman) and the Norse god are reunited because of a major event called the convergence, a time at which the nine realms (a concept introduced in 2011 release) align.  

What makes this film different from the first is the fact that this feels more like a superhero movie.  While Hemsworth’s character had to work hard to earn his power in the precursor, it made for a plot that was less than satisfactory.  Now that he’s a full-blown, experienced warrior-type hero, his is story far more interesting.   His powers are pushed to the limit in a multi-world final battle scene that rivals that of The Avengers

In addition, Thor: The Dark World has a very fun vibe at times.  Some critics have said that this Nov. 8 release could have done without the added humor, but it can certainly be argued that it created a more diversely entertaining film.  The added humor may have come from a sense of obligation to make the audience laugh after the success of Iron Man 3, which had viewers cracking up in May 2013.  It could be a good choice for the franchise…besides, who doesn’t love Kat Denning’s snarky role as Jane’s intern, Darcy? 

Although the movie is named after Thor, the real star was his adopted brother, Loki, the quick and witty god of trickery.  After his bout in New York fighting against the Avengers, his brother calls upon him for help during Asgard’s time of need.  From the depth of character that Hiddleston brings to the character this time around to the constant question of whether he’ll betray his people again, Loki makes this movie worth watching.  He’ll have you wondering whether you love to hate him or hate to love him the whole time. 

If you enjoy Marvel’s superheroes, action and a bit of laughter, this movie is a great way to spend an afternoon! 

Grade: B+

Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.