Movie Review: Movies of Spring Break 2013!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Movies of Spring Break 2013

By Maria NeCastro of www.girlwiththemovieblog.blogs…

Jack the Giant Slayer

These days it seems like the pop-culture audience cannot get enough of re-imagined myths and fairy tales.  This film, starring Nicholas Hoult, Ewan McGregor, and Stanley Tucci, attempts to make the story of “Jack and the Beanstalk” into an epic adventure, filled with action, danger, and an appropriate hint of romance. 

The story is original, but it starts out slow.  The special effects seemed a bit lacking at times, but the creativity of the world made up for it.  Certain elements (sadly, including the actual beanstalk) looked bad, but the costume design, makeup, and sets really shined.  Altogether, this film is fun and exciting, however, it’s not really worth the price of a movie ticket.   

Oz the Great and Powerful

This film had a lot riding on its shoulders.  Since it was announced and marketed, many movie viewers have been skeptical about the storytelling abilities of Disney when it comes to the cherrished and honored film and story of The Wizard of Oz.  

Rather than trying to retell the beloved story, Disney’s screenplay writers Mitchell Kapner and David Lindsay-Abaire create the origin story of Oz’s mysterious wizard.  James Franco plays the part of Oz and illustrates the character for the audience.  He was an excellent choice for the role, as he brings a smarmy, yet charming wizard to life.  Throughout his journey, he seems to gain wisdom (brains), heart, and courage, the same thing that he ends up giving to the scarecrow, tinman, and lion in the original story.

This story follows the storytelling style of the 1939 classic by bringing characters from a dreary real world into a bright and fantastical new world.  The film features Zach Braff as Oz’s constant companion in the worlds of his past, present, and future.

The special effects, film style, music, and setting were all amazing, as one can generally expect with a Disney film.  The casting of additional characters were all great choices, including the talented and beautiful actresses, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, and Michelle Williams.

On a more serious note, the film could have earned a PG-13 rating rather than its PG, as the violence and fear tactics were very prominent and effective.

In conclusion, movie traditionalists have nothing to fear, this is a very well-made piece of cienematography.  If you enjoyed Wicked for its story (not just the music), I would recommend this film.   

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

One of the funniest movies thus far in 2013, this film stars Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, Olivia Wilde, and Jim Carrey.  Though the trailers make it look like another crack at the comedian superstar-duo genre of movies (such as 2012’s The Campaign or 2010’s Get Him to the Greek), this movie really proves its worth throughout the whole 100 minute runtime.

Carell and Carrey live in a world of magic, but not a fantasy world.  They are both world-famous magicians who make a living on the Vegas strip.  Carell represents traditional magic, while Carrey is more of a street performer looking for shock value.  Throughout the film they battle it out for the honor of being the biggest name in magic.  Burt Wonderstone (Carell), a pompous but kind performer working against Steve Gray (Carrey), a crazy yet lovable jerk, make for an entertaining duel. 

The plot was not too complicated, and that is actually what makes it worth a trip to the theater: it’s good fun with a talented cast and great writing.  With its themes of magic, re-imagination, and friendship, I would recommend this one to anyone looking for a great afternoon escape.