Movie Review: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

By Maria NeCastro of www.girlwiththemovieblog.blogs…

G.I. Joe: Retaliation 

When going into most sequels, it’s (typically) hard not to feel somewhat skeptical about what you’re about to watch.  As a sequel to G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra (2009), if you found that you liked the action scenes in the first part of the series (or in any action movie, really), this film was at least 70 percent action and suspense scenes.

What really made it worth while and immersive was the 3D functionality that was weaved into the plot and cinematography.  With a majority of popular action movies, there is always a fair share of rapid gunfire and that is where the 3D aspect really came into play, bullets flying off of the big screen so fast and so real that it may be hard not to protectively cover your face with your hand or jump a bit in your seat.  It was exciting!

Something else that was surprisingly decent about this movie was the acting of Bruce Willis and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.  Willis played retired General Colton and Johnson played lead character, “Roadblock” of the G.I. Joe squad (a part of the U.S. military).  From start to finish, Johnson’s acting gave a feeling of safety, despite all of the horrific things that go on in a film about villains taking over the government.  Willis, on the other hand, was a bit stereotypical at the beginning of his presence in the film (pompous ex-military man, sure of his superiority), but as the film moved on his character really started to evolve. 

One feature of this film that was really endearing was the way that the female lead, Lady Jaye (played by Adrianne Palicki) was portrayed.  As an actress who could really be used as just a trophy figure, with her stunning good looks and physique, her acting and the writing for the role were both very impressive.   

All in all, though the story was a bit lacking in terms of complexity or emotional depth, the action did not disappoint and the writers and actors illustrated the meaning of the word suspense at times.

Photo source: www.zoneflix.com