Movie Review: Double Feature!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Double Feature!

By Maria NeCastro of www.girlwiththemovieblog.blogs…

Admission
This was another one of those movies that you want to be amazing, but the stars just didn’t align.  Starring the hilarious and multi-talented Tina Fey (Mean Girls and 30 Rock) alongside the charming and chuckle-worthy Paul Rudd (This is 40 and Dinner for Schmucks), this film tackles some material that is pretty emotionally deep. 

The story was very original, which is something that you can count on Miss Fey to cover.  She plays the content, but not thriving, admissions officer of Princeton University, Portia Nathan.  Nathan, unfulfilled by her career, significant other, and her relationship with her ultra-feminist mother (played by Lily Tomlin), gets just the bit of excitement her life needs when she meets and begins awkwardly courting the guidance councelor of a non-traditional high school, John Pressman (Rudd). 

Like Rudd’s most recent releases (Our Idiot Brother, This is 40, etc.), this movie borders a bit too much on the drama side of dramedy.  As for fey, she did a wonderful job in a script that doesn’t seem to be her home territory, satirical humor. 

I would recommend this for someone who isn’t looking for a good laugh, but rather a thoughtful, heartfelt contribution to the dramedy genre.

The Croods
The posters, theatrical trailers, and promotions for this movie cannot do it justice.  DreamWorks’ latest animated film went above and beyond any expectations I brought into the initial viewing experience. 

Featuring the voice acting of both, Hollywood’s most popular (Emma Stone & Ryan Reynolds) and Hollywood’s veteran actors (Nicolas Cage & Cloris Leachman), this film delves into a thoughtful plot about family, trust, growth, and the importance of adventure.  That isn’t even the most astounding part.

The animation of this film was phenomenal, especially in 3D.  As it took place in the time of cavemen, the animators and creative minds behind this work of art had some liberty to create an amazing array of fascinating creatures of all shapes, colors, and sizes.  From the rainbow colored jumbo-sized saber-toothed tiger, to feathered and flying turtles that could take up a whole room, the creativity was flowing for the entire duration of the 98-minute-long film.

It an aesthetic masterpiece (colors, animation styles, etc.).  The acting and casting were spot-on. And the story was heartwarming and compelling.  I would even say that it rivals Disney’s Brave (2012) in terms of animation, acting, and plot.

For anyone who is looking for an adventure worth sharing with the whole family, this is a must-see!