Movie Review: Celeste and Jesse Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Celeste & Jesse Forever

By Maria NeCastro of girlwiththemovieblog.blogspot.com

This dramedy features the beautiful Rashida Jones and the always hilarious Andy Samberg.

In this recent rental movie release, Jones and Samberg play a young divorcing couple, Celeste and Jesse (respectively), with a relationship that most bystanders would call “too close.”

The film, directed by Lee Toland Krieger, dares to walk a line into a range of drama that can often feel too real, much like Judd Apatow’s 2012 release, This Is 40.  The difference between the two dramadies, however, is that Celeste & Jesse Forever was a far more palatable viewing experience.

The audience gets an insider look at the lives of these two romantically confused lovers-turned-best friends.  The plot thickens time and time again with each awkward social meeting, while the writing of Jones and Will McCormack (who also plays a supporting role in the movie) shines through.  

Jones does a phenomenal job working among traditional comedians in her own subtle and complementary comedic acting style.  Her work in Parks and Recreation and I Love You, Man prove this star’s wonderful abilities to bridge struggle with humor.  

Samberg, usually thought of for his work with The Lonely Island and SNL also proved his acting chops in this film, as he brought the character of a broken-hearted artist to life.

This film wasn’t exactly what I expected it to be, but with it’s great leads and supporting cast, I’d certainly say it’s worth a watch.