Movie Review: Blue Jasmine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Blue Jasmine

By Maria NeCastro of www.girlwiththemovieblog.blogspot.com

Written and directed by Woody Allen, this drama captures the film legend’s neurotic essence in artful way. 

The movie begins with former New York socialite, Jasmine, on a flight to San Francisco.  Jasmine, played by Oscar-winning actress Cate Blanchett, is the type of person who appears to others as an elitist or a snob, but as she arrives at her sister’s apartment, it becomes clear that her story is going to be far more complex.

Blanchett’s performance as Jasmine proves to be raw and personal as the plot of Allen’s movie explores her decline in mental stability after her wealthy husband, Hal, is sent to prison after committing fraud.  The smooth-spoken Alec Baldwin plays Hal only appears in Jasmine’s flashbacks to her privileged life, yet gives one of the most memorable performances in the film.   

As a product of economic decline after her husband’s illegal business practices, she is forced to move in with her estranged sister, Ginger, and her two young nephews.  The evolution of their awkward relationship throughout “Blue Jasmine” is what makes this movie worth watching. 

In addition to the character studies of Jasmine and Ginger, another great takeaway is Allen’s brilliant writing.   His ideas come to life when expertly paired with Blanchett’s acting abilities.  Take this gem for example, when Jasmine mutters, “Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown — there’s only so many traumas a person can stand before they take to the streets and start screaming,” to her two nephews at a pizza shop.

The plot of Allen’s most recent film has similarities to two of his most screenplays, “To Rome with Love” and “Midnight in Paris,” as each tends to jump around in time, yet “Blue Jasmine” lacks the charm and wonder that his earlier works encompass.  Although the story is told in an unconventional manner, Allen understands that his viewers are generally the type of audience that does not need a simplified story and this film becomes a patchwork of Jasmine’s most defining moments.   

Grade: B

Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.