Movie Review: About Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

About Time

By Maria NeCastro of http://girlwiththemovieblog.blogspot.com/

This Nov. 1 release stars Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy in a touching story about time travel and the value of relationships.  With the tagline, “It’s about life. It’s about love. It’s about time,” this drama brings new light to the tired concept of time travel.  

In the film, Gleeson’s character, Tim, learns that he has the ability to travel through his past.  As a 21-year-old, Tim dedicates his time-traveling abilities to finding love when his father, played by Nighy, informs him of the fact that the men in their family have this extraordinary ability.  The charmingly awkward young man declares, “For me, it was always going to be all about love.”

In the midst of coming of age, Tim meets the love of his life, Mary, played by McAdams.  As one could quickly expect, Tim invests all of his efforts, both romantically and in the time traveling sense, on impressing Mary.  

The casting of actors in this film, as well as their ability to make this story come to life, is phenomenal.  The versatile Gleeson, who has appeared in the Harry Potter series, True Grit and Dredd, proved his ability to act in the context of a tasteful drama.  In addition, McAdams gave one of her best performances since The Notebook, which means this is a must watch. 

Although it’s a tearjerker, the thoughtful story illustrates the true message behind the film, which is to savor every moment as though it could be your last.  As Tim explains how he uses his gifts, “I try to live every day as if it were the final day of my extraordinary, ordinary life.” 

Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.