Style > Beauty

Megan’s Review of the Her Campus Community Care Package

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

This week UMaine’s Chapter of Her Campus was lucky enough to receive a beautiful care package from Her Campus Headquarters, as well as many popular brands. An abundance of products were included in the package ranging from feminine hygiene products, to makeup products, hair care, and educational resources. I loved trying everything and I am excited to share my reviews with everyone below!

First, I just had to try the lip gloss from Absolute New York. This clear shiny gloss is called “Freshly Bitten” and it leaves your lips with a gorgeous sheen. It feels light on my lips and it is not super sticky like other lip gloss products on the market. Additionally, it is super moisturizing which is wonderful, as all the cold weather in Maine often leaves my lips feeling chapped and dry. Personally, I do not wear a lot of makeup in my day to day life and I enjoy embracing my natural beauty. This product is perfect for me because it is a clear gloss that only enhances my natural lip color. However, I could see someone who wears lipstick daily using this product over their regular matte lipstick to add some shine! Whenever and however you wear “Freshly Bitten” by Absolute New York, I promise it will make you feel like an #absolutebabe.

We were fortunate enough to receive another product from Absolute New York that will change your makeup routine for the better! The 3 IN 1 complexion + eye brush has every tool you would need to apply a full face of makeup, all in one brush! The angled detailing brush can be used for styling your eyebrows, or for applying eyeshadow. The face sponge is perfect to use when dampened for applying foundation, cream eyeshadow, and blending highlighter into your skin. Lastly, the powder brush adds a finishing touch when used to apply powder to set one’s makeup. This brush would be perfect for someone who is always on the go, as it is very compact and easy to store. It also saves money to buy one makeup tool instead of three separate brushes. 

The foundation BOUNCE by the brand BeautyBlender was really fun to try. The packaging is really creative and makes their product easy to apply. It was amazing how the product easily applied to my beauty blender and made applying foundation less of a hassle. I was ecstatic about how effortlessly the foundation blended into my skin, and I love that it feels light and airy while providing maximum coverage. Most importantly, BOUNCE comes in forty blends so everyone can find a shade that is ideal for their skin tone. Although blend 1.50 was too dark and too rosy for my skin tone, I appreciate that there are so many options available, and I think I would do well with blend 1.10 or 1.30 which have more yellowish undertones.

There is nothing better than washing your face with a great cleanser and a warm towel before getting into bed. CeraVe’s Hydrating Cream-to-Foam cleanser is the perfect way to clean your face and remove makeup at the same time. This wash is ideal for people that have normal to dry skin and it cleans your skin gently so your natural protective barrier isn’t diminished. Aside from how clean I felt after using this product, my favorite part was that it foamed up upon making contact with warm water. CeraVe makes skin care fun, and I am excited to #getceraveclean!

I was elated when I opened my care package and saw Batiste products. I love their dry shampoo and use it often to give my hair some extra volume and a refreshing smell. I had never tried their waterless cleansing foam, but this is definitely a game changer! I was concerned that the foam would leave my hair feeling heavy, similar to a leave in conditioner, but this foam was airy and light. It smells clean and fresh, and the bottle is the perfect size to throw in your gym bag or leave in your car. What is amazing about this product is that it doesn’t leave white streaks in your hair like a typical dry shampoo, but easily dissolves once massaged into your scalp. 

The Batiste Foam is perfect for those with dry or curly hair types. It cleanses your hair without leaving your scalp feeling too dry. If you have oily and greasy hair, the classic Batiste Dry Shampoo is perfect for you! The blush scent smells like roses and will leave your hair feeling clean and fresh! I also loved using the original scent because it wasn’t an overpowering scent and just gave off the fresh clean feeling I was looking for.

If there is one thing that I really take seriously when it comes to my toiletries, it is my feminine hygiene products. Thankfully, LOLA creates period and sex essesntials that you can trust. LOLA offers a subscription box for period and sexual wellness products that can be customized and delivered to your door. This is fantastic during the COVID-19 era where stores are overcrowded and many people do not want to risk going out to the stores. The tampons are small and compact so they are able to be thrown in your purse and hidden well. I love the light blue color of the wrapper, and I am so happy that you can choose your tampon size based upon your average menstrual flow. It’s important to note that Lola’s tampons are made with 100% cotton.

You can get 25% off your first subscription if you order at mylola.com with the code HILOLA25. This code expires on October 31, so act now if you are interested! 

Lastly, as college students we know school can be stressful. Thankfully, Bartleby is here to help you answer those challenging homework questions. If you ask a question on their website, someone will respond to you in just one hour and you will be notified when they post a response. This is an invaluable resource that can really help you in the heat of the semester, Visit www.getbartleby.com/hercampus to ask five free homework questions.

Thank you so much to Her Campus, Batiste, Bartleby, Absolute New York, Beauty Blender, and LOLA for sending us these amazing products!

Megan Ashe

U Maine '22

Megan Ashe is a full time undergraduate student at the University of Maine, located in Orono, ME. She is majoring in English, with a concentration in creative writing, and is also focusing on her minor in legal studies. After her time at the University of Maine, Megan hopes to attend law school and become a trial lawyer. But for now, she enjoys hanging out with friends, working at the the University Bookstore, watching true crime TV shows, and of course writing! Insta: megan_ashe2000