Meet The HC UMaine Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

It has been an amazing semester for Her Campus UMaine. Following our January 25 launch, Shaina and I gathered a staff of amazing writers, photographers, and publicity extraordinaires. They were a huge part of the reason why our first semester was such a successful one. Unfortunately, some of our staff is graduating on Saturday. Meet the three amazing senior girls who worked hard on staff all semester, and hear what all of us will be up to post-college:

Staff:

Jeni Bishop

Jeni, a Journalism major in the Advertising Sequence from Wheelock, Vermont, covered the “green”
beat for us this semester. She taught us all how to be a little more eco-conscious, and make simple adjustments that benefit the environment. Post-college, Jeni is moving to Charlotte, North Carolina with her boyfriend and will be starting a career in a creative field.

She hopes that in the next few years she’ll be gaining experience, networking, and be paying off student loans. Jeni said she’s not sure what her dream job is yet, but she likes making decisions, color, and helping the earth, so “perhaps my dream job would be a combination of those things.”

Besides Her Campus UMaine, Jeni was the Vice President of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students; and in the Dance Club. What will she miss most about UMaine?

“I’ve met so many wonderful people at UMaine- college is the perfect atmosphere to mingle and network, and to make connections that will last a lifetime. That said, I’m really going to miss my girlfriends.”

Jeni leaves us with one last piece of advice:

“I wholeheartedly believe that if you choose a job you love, you will never have to work a day in your life. Jump at the opportunity to try something new, collegiettes™- you just might find a new passion or a fulfilling career.”

Alison Bromley:

Alison is a Journalism and Advertising major from Holden, Maine, who will be spending the summer in beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine, working as a writer and photographer for an arts and entertainment magazine, and waitressing at night.

After the summer season ends, she’s making a trip abroad- to Europe, Asia, and Afria, to “squeeze a big adventure in before I settle down somewhere new.”

Alison said she’s been offered jobs all over the U.S. and internationally, so she’ll choose one, and plan on heading to wherever it may be. Eventually she sees herself in, or right outside of, Boston or New York City.

Dream job?

“I actually don’t have one yet…I can picture myself going in a few different directions, and I’d be extremely happy with each of them. For now, I would love to do in-house advertising and marketing for a company in New England.”

Alison said she will miss a lot about UMaine, but her classmates and co-workers the most.

“I will also miss being able to drink heavily on weekdays (specifically Thursday nights at the Bear Brew) and sleep in the next morning. I will miss being able to sleep in at all. I will miss having student discounts, cheap rent, and not caring about money. I will miss having everything in one place. I will miss the freedom (mainly being able to skip a class or take a vacation whenever I wanted to) of a college lifestyle,” Alison said.

“I will miss being able to get a $1 grilled cheese delivered to me. I will even miss walking down the mall, “dodging Humans and Zombies,” and feeling the cool (sometimes frigid) Maine breeze on my face. I will miss the social scene, the parties, the liberties. I will miss it all!”

Besides being a writer and Publicity Coordinator for Her Campus UMaine, Alison was also the Study Abroad Advisor for the Office of International Programs, a Tutor in the Writing Center, an M-Project mentor, an inductee to Lambda Pi Eta, and a member of the Co-Ed Cheerleading squad!

Monica Purington:

Monica is a Finance major and Public Relations minor from Manchester, Maine. She covered the fitness beat for us all semester, cluing everyone in on how to get fit and healthy!

After graduation she’s moving to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, to coach ski racing for the Jackson Hole Ski Club. She will also be doing some freelance fitness writing. She wants to “play for a few years,” and continue writing and doing public relations in the fitness field.

Monica said her dream job would be working for herself. She eventually wants to open her own fitness studio, which would be based around indoor cycling.

Monica was involved in Club Field Hockey, Alpine Ski Club, SPIFFY (Investments Club), and was a Recreation Center fitness staff member.

What will she miss most?

“The Rec Center! And all the amazing people I met here!”

Campus Correspondents:

Shaina Dennis:

My amazing co-Campus Correspondent Shaina, from Hampden, Maine, is a Mass Communications
major with a double minor in Business Administration and Public Relations.

Real life starts in early June for her, where she’ll start her job as a Marketing Coordinator at Big Night Entertainment group, an entertainment management company, in Boston.

She said she’d love to live in Boston for the next few years, depending on job and current lifestyle, and possibly move to New York City down the road.

What’s her dream job?

“Trophy wife…just kidding (kind of, but not really).”

Besides being a trophy wife, Shaina sees herself working as a fashion/merchandiser buyer or working at a fashion magazine.

Shaina was also in a sorority, Alpha Phi, and Lambda Pi Eta. She said she will miss UMaine.

“I’ll miss the close knit community and bonds that people make in college and the overall lifestyle and minimum responsibilities.”

Macey Hall:

The other half of the Campus Correspondent duo, I am a Journalism major and Sociology minor, from
Fryeburg, Maine. I will be moving to New York City in May, and spending the summer interning at a public relations firm, on the fashion and beauty teams.

Once the summer is over, I would love to land a full time position in communications in New York, or London. My dream job would be to work at a fashion magazine like Vogue or Harper’s Bazaar.

Besides Her Campus UMaine, I also wrote a weekly fashion column, “Trend Watch,” for The Maine Campus, and was President of Lambda Pi Eta.
While I’m excited to start the next chapter of my life, I will miss college a little bit. Mainly, I will miss the freedom that college gives you, my friends, and the three most important things: June, July, and August.

Thank you for being our loyal readers. We are so excited for Jenna Hoops to run the branch next year, and know she’ll do a fabulous job. Have a great summer!

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.