The Low-Down on the Presidential Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Critics of the subdued initial presidential debate were met with a much livelier performance Tuesday night, as President Barack Obama and Republican nominee Mitt Romney took to the stage for a second time to discuss the upcoming November election.

The debate circuit is an important component of the election year; face-to-face candidates get to spar over big button issues, discuss their qualifications, remind us of their promises and intents, and of course point out any mistakes and mishaps made along the way on the behalf of their opponent. The debates are a chance to see politicians react on the fly, pulled away from their more typical rehearsed speeches and appearances. We get to see how much the candidates really know and what they have to say about one another. We know they come from opposing viewpoints, but seeing them actually hash out their disagreements on stage is a unique opportunity to see a ‘real side’ to these two men.

The debates can get confusing, chaotic, or even a little off-topic, so here is a recap of the most important things that went down Tuesday night, and why you should pay attention when pondering your vote this November.

After receiving criticism that he was too quiet and subdued, President Obama came out charging. He portrayed Romney as untrustworthy, calling him out on his credibility, and his stance regarding hot-topic issues like taxes and Romney’s stance on Libya. He also called Romney out about his own very upper-class lifestyle as well as Romney’s comments made public a few weeks back in which Romney said 47% of Americans are too dependent upon the government.

Obama also called Romney out for his position on several women’s issues: his unclear back-and-forth stance regarding abortion (is he for or against?) and his potential de-funding of Planned Parenthood.
It was President Obama on the attack Tuesday night, but when Romney did fight back, he made sure to call attention to several key points which undermine the President’s work.

Romney discussed the failing economy, a struggling middle-class which he said have been “crushed”
under the current policies, and also criticized Mr. Obama’s handling of security in Libya.
All in all, not every question was answered and both men managed to continue to skirt around some
difficult questions about the economy, the situation in Libya, and what will be done with taxes.

In the upcoming weeks, be paying special attention to how Romney answers questions about immigration, women’s issues (contraception, abortion, Planned Parenthood, etc.) and his tax policies. Hone in on what President Obama says about the middle-class, plans to increase jobs, and his own tax policies.

These next few weeks are crucial to the impending presidential elections. Figuring out where you stand on the important issues means you can make an informed vote this November. One of these two men will be the leader of our country for the next four years, and as we college students prepare to embark into ‘the real world’, the beliefs and decision made on the behalves of each of these men can and will very much impact our futures.

Photo Credit: Washington Post